Chapter Eight

Ratchet put the coat on, zipping it up some. He smiled at her a bit, starting to relax. He placed his hand on hers as he began to leave the apartment with her. "What's something interesting here?" 

She thought for a few minutes as she scrunched up her face. "Depends on what you like." She said as she smiled brightly. "We have... a bakery... hmmm... library... what do you like?" She whispered. 

Ratchets eyes brightened a bit. A library? Suddenly filled with an urge to go, he looked at her with a small smile. "Let's go to the library if that's alright with you." He said gently. 

"Of course." She said with a small smile as she nodded slowly. She hugged his arm a little and grinned as she walked with him. They soon left the building and walked down the street. 

Ratchet smiled faintly at her, looking around quietly. He looked at the people and the buildings. "Who built this?" He whispered. 

"The military did at first when they were here in Jasper and needed a place... probably to monitor these robots... then when we first came down here... many years ago... we built more." she explained and looked at him as they walked.

Ratchet nodded a bit. "Well it looks nice here."he smiled a little. "Feels more at home here than above." He muttered. 

"I know... it would be amazing to go back up eventually... but we have to stay here for now. We don't even know if we can defeat them or not..." she whispered. "Or how to..." she added. Ratchet frowned a bit, nodding quietly. He wanted to say something to that but couldn't. He sighed softly and pushed open the door to the library, feeling the heavy silence. 

She smiled and inhaled as they walked inside the older building that was filled with books. "I love the smell of books and pages." she whispered and looked at him. It was warm here and inviting.

Ratchet smiled a bit and nodded. "As do I." He said and began looking around. It was peaceful and quiet, almost like a sanctuary. He went toward the counter, drawn to it. "Let's ask what they recommend." He muttered. 

"Or we can go on an adventure and simply explore." she said as she looked at him and smiled. "That's what I do in a library, and I only stop when a book grabs at me." she grinned.

Ratchet blinked. "Really?" He then looked at the many books. "But... how do you know what's best?" He asked gently as he looked to her. 

"Mostly depends on your mood and what calls to you." She said and looked around at the signs that told them the section of books. "Look at the signs, Grandad... what calls to you?" she asked.

He hummed softly and began looking at the signs quietly. "Fiction seems nice. I could use a nice story." He looked at her with a small smile. 

"Perfect." She grinned at him then squeezed his arm a little as she walked with him to the said section. They slowly walked down the aisles and rows of books, pausing on occasion to grab a book off the shelf. Skye looked through it then at him as she grinned.

He smiled a bit as he walked with her. He was enjoying this, thinking of anything else. He took a book off the shelf and hummed, smiling a bit. "I think I'll read this one." He said quietly, looking at her. "One flew over the cuckoo's nest." He murmured, finding it amusing by the nurses name.

She hesitated and looked at the book for a few minutes then at him. "Um... maybe you... should try another one." she said hesitantly and looked for something else.

Ratchet watched her curiously and set it back onto the shelf. He looked around, humming quietly. "Have you read it before?" 

She hesitated and looked down as she gripped the shelf just at her eye level. "Yes... but I didn't get very far.... I didn't like it..." she admitted and thought for a few minutes. "I mean...." she trailed off and thought about how the characters were crazy and her grandfather felt he might be. "Let's just find something else..." she whispered.