Chapter Nine

Just a heads up this chapter is long. So.... maybe I'll make the next one super short. ;)

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~

Ratchet tensed for a moment, not expecting the hug. He frowned deeply as he realized he made her cry. He began hugging her back, stroking her hair sadly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way." He whispered. He looked to see Raf leaving and frowned, watching quietly before resting his chin on her head, holding her close. "Why don't we grab something warm to drink then go visit your father? We can tell him about our eventful day." He smiled a bit.

She nodded and felt bad for making him feel horrible, again. "Okay..." she whispered quietly and hugged him tightly. "It'll be okay..." she said and led him to a café where they had some hot drinks.

Ratchet went silent and followed her quietly, holding onto her with a small frown. He looked around quietly, sighing softly. He then looked to his granddaughter again. "You're very sweet to me." He murmured. "Thank you." He couldn't remember someone being this sweet to him since June.

She paused and looked at him then furrowed her brow. "Of course... you're welcome..." she whispered quietly and stared at him. "Why wouldn't I be kind to you?" She asked.

Ratchet shook his head. "Never mind." He muttered, rubbing his arm a bit as he looked up over at the chalkboard with drinks listed. He took off his hat and smoothed down his white hair with his wrinkled hand. "I think I'll have some tea." He murmured. 

She watched him intently then nodded slowly before making the order. She didn't know what to do anymore and how to help him. She sighed shakily as she rubbed her face tiredly. She felt as though they kept walking on egg shells around each other. They were constantly trying to keep each other happy and prevent the other from getting hurt. She got a few other things and walked over to him then smiled a little. Ratchet was staring around the room, looking a bit lost in his imagination until she came over. He smiled a bit as he took his drink, placing his hat back onto his head.

"Thank you." He muttered and began leaving the cafe with her. He was silent for a long time as they walked together, sighing softly, the tension in his shoulders relaxing a little. "I'm sure your father would love to hear about the book you got." He finally began speaking up, glancing at her.

She nodded slowly as she kept a hold of his arm. She felt she had to so she didn't lose him. She sighed shakily and squeezed her eyes shut for a few minutes. She wanted to believe everything was going to be okay. "Yes... he will." She whispered and opened her eyes again. 

Ratchet noticed how stressed she was getting and stopped her, frowning. "Skye... its okay. Relax." He said calmly, brushing the hair from her face. "Why are you so stressed?"

"I'm afraid to lose you... Grandad... I was alone for a long time... After dad got hurt... I was alone..." she whispered. "I have developed separation anxiety... and other things...." She said shamefully and looked down. "Now that I have someone... I'm afraid to let go..." she said.

He frowned a bit and cupped her cheek gently with his old soft hand. He rubbed her cheek for a moment as he stared at her. "Skye...you can't let fear control you. I'm going to be fine." He smiled a little reassuringly. "I understand why your scared but we're safe down here. If I get lost then I know to just find someone to help me get home. We're all in the same situation so why would anyone not help me?" He smiled more and kissed her forehead.

"You have a point there." she said as she smiled a little and choked back a sob. "I'm not afraid most of the time... heck I go up to the surface to fight the cons." she joked. "I'm just afraid when it comes to someone that's close to me." she admitted.