Chapter Twelve

Ratchet stiffened, his eyes widening a bit. "No... no she didn't. You're lying to me!" He shouted, glaring at her as his chest felt heavy. His eyes began to fill with tears. "This isn't real! Your not real!" He began leaving her, looking for an exit to go home to his apartment. He rubbed his eyes. "Wake up, wake up... this is a dream. This isn't real... come one Ratchet." He whispered to himself firmly.

"Your name isn't Ratchet, it's Henry." She said seriously as she watched him intently. She followed and he just saw other patients wandering around. "I know it's hard to take in... if you would take your medicine you wouldn't forget." She explained.

He frowned as he looked at the patients then her. "No it isn't. My name is Ratchet and always has been. I'm not taking any medicine because I'm not crazy." He spoke seriously, walking away from her again.

"Henry please." She said seriously as she followed him. "You have to understand that this is reality. Stop living in a different world." She begged. He didn't see a way out and the exits were all locked.

The old doctor looked at her and shook his head. "No, this isn't real. It's another dream." He frowned deeply. "This is just a dream about the book I'm reading mixed in with all my worries... what else could it be?" He muttered, trying to convince himself.

"Henry... you mean... One flew over the cuckoo's nest?" She asked and furrowed her brow. "That's an odd book that someone gave you. This place is nothing like that book." The nurse sighed shakily.

"It is a dream, of course it won't be exact." He grunted. "And yes, it is odd. I didn't really like it the more I read and now I'm currently dreaming about it, I really do not like it." Ratchet grumbled and hugged himself. "I just wish I'd wake up." He muttered as he sat down in an empty wheelchair.

She watched him with sadness and crouched down by his side. "You're always dreaming of a better world... you told me once that you told your granddaughter to go away and never come back... she went to the surface and never came back... so I understand why you might not want this to be real..." she whispered.

"I would never say that!" Ratchet snapped, standing up and glaring at her. "Who do you think you are!? I bet none of these patients get better with staff like you around!" Ratchet scoffed, growling. "You're a terrible nurse."

"I'm just telling you what you told me. I'm trying to help you understand that this is reality." She choked then started to sob. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to upset you again." She said as security walked over to check things.

Ratchets expression relaxed and he felt bad seeing her cry. He sighed heavily, rubbing his face as he tried to focus, knowing she wasn't real. He went to the exit doors and began trying to figure out how to get out of the mental hospital, frowning deeply. He felt insane but knew he didn't need to be here.

"Sir the doors are locked and you can't leave." The guard said seriously as he walked over. The nurse walked off as another tried to comfort her. The security guards were trying to reason with him as he tugged on the doors in desperation.

"I don't belong here!" Ratchet snapped at him, trying to get out. "This is a mistake! My name isn't Henry Darby! It's Ratchet!" He spoke in desperation, panic filling him. He couldn't spend his life in a mental hospital alone.

"Sir calm down." He said seriously and the other patients looked at him with concern. They could see he was trying to escape and was upset. "Sir come with us." The man said and gripped his arm.

Ratchets eyes widened in panic, ripping it out of his grasp. "Don't touch me!" He spoke seriously. "Let me go." He said in a quieter tone. "Please. I'm not insane even though it seems like it." He said as he looked at them. "Let me call someone. I can prove it."