Chapter Eleven

Ratchet looked up at him and frowned deeply. "This is a dream." He muttered, looking around then at him. "Isn't it? If I fall asleep here then I'll wake up at the hospital again."

The Prime helped him up then glanced around the room for a moment. "Why do you think that?" he asked and looked at him with concern.

"Because I'm actually in a hospital with Jack and Skye." Ratchet frowned. "I don't understand this, Optimus. One moment I'm here, the next I'm there. Making holoforms shouldn't cause this and it isn't coincidental that I can remember everything each time. Something is going on. Something is wrong with reality... at least with me."

The Prime watched him then gently gripped his shoulder plate again. "Perhaps... one of theses reality's aren't real." he said gently. "Perhaps it's a memory that your mind is manipulating." he said.

The medics optics dimmed a bit and he looked down, knowing exactly what was wrong. "This isn't real... here... right now with you..." he whispered and shook his helm.

Optimus stared at him then glanced to the computer. He watched it for a moment then looked back at him. "Why do you think that, Old friend?" He asked gently. 

"Because I cannot have memories of something that has not happened yet." Ratchet frowned. "My... subconsciousness is putting these memories through me... as if it's trying to help me remember. I'm missing you... but I'm slowly remembering." He shook his helm a bit and glanced at the computer. "Something wrong happens when creating holoforms... I believe we get... stuck.."

Optimus watched him intently then nodded slowly as if confirming this. His subconscious was trying to find answers. "Correct. We get stuck like this and can't communicate through our coms." He said gently. "Do you remember how we stay in contact?" He asked. "Do you remember what happened and why we were separated?" He asked. 

The doctors expression filled with puzzlement. "No... I don't remember it at all." He muttered, frowning deeply. "Optimus... tell me. Tell me what I need to do." He looked up at him. 

His leader looked back to the screen and typed a little then furrowed his optic ridges. "Our base was destroyed by the Decepticons and we were forced to leave." He explained carefully. "I stayed behind to close the bridge..." he mumbled.

The images and memories of that day suddenly rushed into the medics helm. Everyone left with the children and they were spread across the country. He remembered he was angry with his friend for destroying the omega lock, and their only chance to get home. How Optimus watched him leave and they said goodbye just before the cons leveled the base.

Ratchet frowned deeply, looking away as he remembered. He recalled letting himself follow his orders. He remembered never finding Smokescreen, never finding Bumblebee and Raf until ten years later almost, only running into Arcee and Bulkhead once more.

"You... your offline." He whispered, his voice shaking in realization. His optics watered a bit and he looked at him, not meeting his gaze. "We... we left you."

The Prime stared at him for a moment, then nodded slowly. "Yes... I stayed to ensure my team... my family escaped. And... yes... I'm offline..." he whispered. 

Ratchets expression fell and he slowly sat down, putting his helm in his servos. "Primus... this is..." he shook his head. "I won't be able to find you. I have to find Bumblebee... Smokescreen... the others." He frowned. 

Optimus slowly walked over and sat by his side. "You can find them... do you remember how to locate them?" He asked quietly. 

The medic took in a shaky vent. "No... I don't remember anything before I was separated from June at the slave mines." He muttered. He looked up at him, frowning deeply. How many times had he said that?