Chapter Four

A doctor came rushing over, frowning. "We have a virus here underground. Its spreading."he frowned deeply, staring at Ratchet who looked to Skye, blinking. "I wonder..." he muttered then his eyes widened a bit as he thought of Elliott's older sibling.

"What? What is it?" Skye asked as she looked between Ratchet and the other man, the two seemed to have a silent conversation.

"I met a boy and his older siblings. I wonder if he has the same." Ratchet muttered. "I diagnosed his brother with the flu but I wasn't sure." He rubbed his forehead. "The flu can cause this to happen." The man murmured, glancing at the now dead patient getting rolled around the corner and then disappearing.

"We need to check and get to the scientists." Skye said seriously and quickly ran off to find him.

Ratchet followed her quickly, frowning deeply. "We need to sanitize this hospital. The staff isn't taking care of their patients well. I understand it's short staffed but they need to do a better job." He rambled as he hurried. "Something needs to be done here."

"We better hurry before our neglect creates a virus we can't control." She said seriously as she ran towards the science labs out of the hospital. Ratchet nodded in agreement, grunting as he half ran half jogged. He grabbed the door and swung it open, rushing past the front desk and down the halls.

"Sir stop!" The person at the desk called after him, he stood as the two ran by. Skye led him to the actual lab and quickly rushed in.

"Doctor Esquivel!" She shouted and a man with wild brown hair quickly looked up as he stopped what he was doing. He fixed his glasses and blinked in a couple times.

"Skye Darby?" He asked in surprise as he walked over. "What's going on?" He asked as he looked at the two. Ratchet eyes widened as he saw the man, speechless. Overcome with shock and tiredness he leaned against the door frame for a moment to catch his breath before taking a breath.

"There's a virus spreading at the hospital. It has flu like symptoms but we're unclear if that's what it is." He explained shortly, his eyebrows furrowing. He could catch up with Rafael later. He was shocked to see the boy though. He was grown up.

"What?" Raf asked in surprise then frowned deeply. "I'll work on something." He said seriously and left to start. "You need to quarantine the hospital and make sure everyone has been taken care of." He said seriously.

"Grandad? Are you okay?" Skye asked as she furrowed her brow, noticing he seemed a bit pale and in some kind of shock.

Ratchet nodded dumbly. "Of course. I'll get you a sample as soon as I can." He muttered and looked to his granddaughter. "I'm fine, youngling." He said gently.  She nodded slowly and gently took his arm then led him out. Worried about him. Raf watched him then went back to work.

Ratchet began walking out with her, a bit dumbfounded. "That... was Rafael." He whispered, his eyes filled with surprise still.

She looked at him then furrowed her brow a little. She continued to hold on to him as they walked. "Yes... it was. He's a family friend. He knew dad, grandma and you for a while. Are you going to be okay?" She asked quietly. 

Ratchet nodded, blinking for a moment. He gently patted her hand. "I'll be fine, don't worry." He mumbled as he got over his shock. "I was just surprised. I haven't seen him in so long." He muttered, smiling at her a bit.

She nodded and smiled a little but didn't let go of him, she was worried about him and felt he was fragile in a way. "He has a daughter." she said. "He finally got married..." she smiled

Ratchet smiled at that, looking at her. "That's great news." He muttered. "He deserves it." He nodded a bit, looking at the buildings quietly. 

"I asked him why he waited so long... he said he was too focused on something." she said and looked at him. "He didn't even think about it of give himself the time." she sighed sadly. "He told me he was waiting for some friends to come back so he could help... another scientist told him they probably wouldn't come back at this point." she said and looked down. "I overheard him and dad talking with mom... they told him they feared they were alone in this fight. Whatever that means." she shrugged.