S-L 24

Ch.24

     Nika p.o.v

The sound of so much gun firing and the sight of so much blood caused the pack to start retreating. They had pushed us back towards the tree line border and stormed the pack house. I could feel Raven's and Chris's pain as the hidden woman protecting the children raced out the hidden back exit. The gun fire wounded too many and they needed to heal. In the midst of the fighting Raven and Amore did their best to keep our retracting forms in some kind of shield like bubble. 

As the pack house went up in flames and started to be burned down howles filled the air. Pain racked my body as the other pack members watched their home burn. I felt the same pain when I saw Lizzy die. The same agonizing shock of hurt.

Turning my head quickly to look for Chale I realized he wasn't with us. I couldn't feel him and I could tell Chris was too busy to notice. I stopped firing the gun that left my hands numb. The heavy weapon fell to the ground as I looked around me. Raven and Amore were putting up a tough fight but I could see their shield was failing. They were growing tired and as everything seemed to slow down in time I swayed my tail lightly. 

It became clear quickly that Chale had left me in the hands of the pack. He was no longer fighting with us and had broken through to the otherside alone. My head started to hurt as I moved to step forward towards the shield. 

The small army ahead seemed to have never ending fire power. They kept coming and I could tell it wouldn't end here. They would keep coming for as long as I existed in a world where I shouldn't. As the end of the shield started to get closer Raven looked over at me. I couldn't hear what he said over the sound of the pack house burning down. Yet I could see his eyes were pleading. He wanted to keep protecting me, even if me just being here caused this. 

Looking away from him and stepping outside of the shield I lifted my hand to touch the bite mark Chris gave me. I was apart of this stupid pack, they should be able to find me in time again. 

Bullets flew past my still body to keep pushing the others back further behind me. Soon pain ran through my body as I was hit with an electrifying device. It clung to my side and dug through my clothing sending currents of shocks through me. I crumbled to the ground quickly, clenching my jaw. I felt tense all over as I managed to see past the pain to look at the pack. They had started to disappear in the tree line, their howls still loud and strong.

I groaned loudly as I twitched on the ground when the shocks did let up. They didn't kill me. I was still useful bait. Those stupid dogs better be grateful. My ears flattened down on my head as a shadow fell over me, blocking the sunlight. The gun fire stopped, it went silent. I could hear them all breathing hard as they started to surround me. Their guns still up and pointed at the tree line. My eyes stayed on the person that felt bold enough to get so close. Their scent was disgusting.

"Nika....bad pet." The voice of the man before me was deep, scratchy. 

A hiss left my lips at being called a pet. Who the hell did this guy think he was? I stayed silent after, waiting to see what he would do next.

Lifting his hand and waving it towards his men he stepped closer, showing me his face. The man was tall, built, and had deep brown eyes. His features were strong even as his gray hairs peeked through his brown. He wore gear over his clothing, showing he came ready for this fight. 

Two men came around him and forcefully pulled me up to stand. I felt the pain  from being moved yet did not show it. My claws grew out as I felt the older man touch my chin, holding it in a tight grip for my attention. "Look what you and that damn dog of mine did. The government is gonna have my ass for this mess. I had to attack a wolf pack for you and that never goes over well. I leave my brothers and cousins in charge for a few years and it all goes to shit." He turned my face around as he spoke, seeming to look me over. "You were an expensive toy to make and they messed up the structure for your thinking process. Same with that mutt...he really believes you two to be mates."