chapter twenty-three

The journey to the ocean was starting off to be too easy

The journey to the ocean was starting off to be too easy. The gunners kept to the front, while the normal campers stayed behind. Many of the campers were sharing their plans of what they would do when they got to the coast. Anastasia kept her eye on the forest around her that was spanning for miles and miles. She was wary about the path ahead, it all seemed to easy.

"Ana?" She turned her head to see Clarke, beside her, "What are you thinking about?" She asked with a perplexed look on her. As the gunners stopped, suddenly scanning the area. The gunners began again slowly up, joking again with each other, while Jasper expressed his concern.

"This is easy" Anastasia let out, "too easy" she added looking into Clarke's eyes with worry. Also like Anastasia commanded it, something happened up by the gunners. Anastasia saw blood splatter.

"Grounders!" She heard Jasper yell as the hoard of campers began running back as they pushed past Anastasia knocking her around.

She feel into shock as she could finally see the dead camper, Drew. He had a throwing star lodge in his head, as blood flooded onto the ground. Anastasia read about throwing stars but they were never like that and they were used back before the modern times. She felt her chest get heavy, she struggled to breath. Her eyes flickered back to the cave she was trapped in with Lincoln as the grounders that were out to get her.

Her eyes caught sight of a shadowy figure roaming the woods, she stared at it as she was frozen with fear. The creature would disappear and reappear closer to her, but the figure still renamed hidden by the forest shadow. She was preparing herself for the confrontation when the grounder, a hand from behind gripped her wrist and pulled her away from the grounder towards the camp.

The yank pulled her out of her shock state, as her feet began running back towards the camp. She felt her breath caught up to her, she was gasping for more air while she was running. She collapsed to the ground as soon as she saw the gate, displacing the ground beneath her, Anastasia placed her hand on her chest as she took deep breaths, finding her way back up to her feet.

"Shut the gate!" She heard screamed through the camp, as the rest of the camp filed in, followed by the closing of the gate. The chaos went on around her as Clarke and Bellamy took a spot upon the watch looking out in the forest. Anastasia began walking closer towards the tower they stood on. She stepped on taking a spot next to Bellamy, as he kept his gun trained  on the forest that laid outside the camp.

"Where are they" Bellamy asked concerned, "Why aren't they attacking?"

"Because we're doing exactly what they want" Anastasia stared at awe noticing there was nothing in the woods but her eyes would flash around every time she saw a shadow. She turned her head, looking past Bellamy to Clarke, seeing that Clark thought the same thing.