Prologue

°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°

"Severus! Severus, wait up!" Your voice could be heard yelling down the corridor to your best and first friend, Severus Snape.

You were running down the hall to catch up to him, while also struggling to keep all your books from falling off the largely stacked pile you were carrying. He turned just as you began to stumble to a halt. You came to a stop next to him and grinned. He noticed one of your books sliding off the pile and adjusted it to stay put, then looked at you, giving you a weak smile.

"Hello, (Y/N)." He replied with a neutral tone and began to continue walking.

You followed him and matched his pace. It was the last day of school and you planned to go to Hogsmeade one last time before Summer let out.

"Are you excited for Hogsmeade?" You ask, breaking the comfortable silence.

"I would like to think so." He replied looking over at the Whomping Willow, which was in that moment swinging a select branch at a bird. To the tree's dismay, it missed.

You smiled at Severus and continued walking with him to the Great Hall for the End of the Year Feast. Once there, you both took a seat at the Slytherin table. With a sigh of relief, you dropped your books beside you on the bench.

(Y/N)'s POV:

'Severus seems a little out of it today. Usually he would wait for me at the end of my last class, Defense Against the Dark Arts. Not only that, but I haven't seen Lily around.'

It would seem that this past year, Lily had been spending less and less time with not just me, but Severus as well. Which may explain Severus' recent melancholic behavior. Not long ago, I had found out that he's fancied Lily for quite some time now, but had never acted on said feelings. Sadly, James Potter, Severus' bully, caught Lily's attention far before she had any inkling of Severus' own affections. They soon became an 'item', which is when Severus' livelihood plummeted.

I was sad for two reasons. One, because Severus was and still is unhappy. And two, because I fancy Severus, even though he doesn't seem to fancy me. It hurt. A lot.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Severus who was nudging me to let me know the Feast was starting. Severus was probably one of the only Slytherins who I was able to befriend. And that's mainly because Lily introduced me to him.

As Professor Dumbledore stepped up to the podium, the golden owl on said podium spread it's wings so as to hold any paper sheets that may be set upon it.

"Attention students! Attention." He began, causing the mass of students to gradually become quieter.

Professor Dumbledore began,

"It has been yet another fine year at Hogwarts. I would like to congratulate all seventh years for having now graduated from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. May your paths guide and shape you into the great witches and wizards of our future."

I stood up and clapped for all the graduating students whilst cheering. As did many others. I looked down at Severus to see that he wasn't standing up. I pulled him up by his left arm, causing him to groan and stand reluctantly. He stood there until the clapping died down, which insinuated the continuation of Professor Dumbledore's speech.

"I am also very proud of all first years for completing their first year at Hogwarts, School of-" Professor Dumbledore couldn't finish his sentence before the hall erupted with cheers.

The speech went on for a good 15 minutes before this year's winners of the House Cup were announced.

"In 4th place, we have.. Ravenclaw!" There was an array of cheers.