Champions

~Great Hall - November 19th - Tuesday Evening~

Your POV:

It was finally time for me to put my name into the Goblet of Fire. I was so excited and ready. I've wanted to become a champion ever since my parents told me about the event. It sounds so challenging, but fun. Multiple students from either Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, or Durmstrang stood up during dinner to put their names in the Goblet of Fire, each getting a couple people cheering for them. At the end of dinner, Lucas pulled me up telling me to put my name in. I walked over to the Goblet of Fire and threw my name in. A large amount of people cheered, which I didn't expect. I smiled and looked around. I didn't see Severus anywhere. Weird. Maybe he ate in his Classroom. I then made my way back to my seat. After dinner I walked down the hall with Lucas to go back to the Common Room. I couldn't wait to see who the champions were.

~Great Hall - November 21st - Thursday Evening~

"Attention students!" I heard Professor Dumbledore yell throughout the Great Hall.

Everyone knew what he was going to announce, so it became quiet almost instantly.

"Today we are announcing the three champions who will be competing in the Tri-Wizard Tournament!" He exclaimed, causing an uproar in cheers.

I saw Severus who rolled his eyes indifferently. I chuckled at that. He was never a huge fan of the event. I turned my attention back to Professor Dumbledore once he began taking names from the Goblet of Fire.

"Annette Aimee!" A girl from the Beauxbatons Academy stood up and walked over to where Dumbledore stood.

"Andrey Borislava!" Was announced from the Durmstrang Institute.

He walked up to where the girl from Beauxbatons stood.

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N)!" I heard my name and was ecstatic.

"Woo! Go (Y/N)!" I heard Lucas cheer as I walked up.

Once on the podium we were told to follow some of the Professors to another room. The Headmaster and Headmistress from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons followed as well. Once in the room, Professor Dumbledore began explaining our first task. But only vaguely.

"Firstly, congratulations to the three of you for becoming our champions." Dumbledore congratulated us.

I smiled, as did the others.

"Your first task will be in the Black Lake. You will have one hour to retrieve something of yours that you have lost. What you are looking for is a mystery. Beware that there are many creatures that lurk in the depths of the Lake." Dumbledore warned.

"Good luck you three." Professor McGonagall wished the three of us.

"Thank you." I responded.

We were released to go to our dorms so I began to leave to meet up with Lucas to explain everything. Before I could reach the entrance to the common room however, I was pulled into another direction.

"Whoa hey! Who the hell are yo- Severus!?" I exclaimed.

He didn't respond and continued leading me down the hall to the Potions Classroom. He closed the door before speaking.

"Explain." He asked, sounding relatively angry as he went to stand behind his desk.

His cloak swung behind him as he abruptly turned in my direction, almost slamming his hands on the desk.

"Explain what!?" I asked, still shocked by his outburst.

"Explain why all of a sudden you are interested in partaking in such a barbaric event!" He yelled, leaning forward on his desk.

"My parents were former champions in the event. Why wouldn't I want to compete?" I responded, not quite understanding why he felt he had a say in any of this.

"Of course Poppy had to go and bollocks the whole thing up.." He muttered.

"What does Madam Pomfrey have to do with any of this?" I asked, not liking where I thought this was going.

"I had Madam Pomfrey keep you in the Infirmary later than she had planned. It was for your own good." He explained while sighing.

"Firstly, why did you try to keep me from hearing about the Tri-Wizard tournament!? Secondly, how would you have kept me from seeing the Goblet of Fire and the other students? I would have found out anyways!" I got somewhat angry and walked up to his desk.

"Because I can not afford to loose you to something as silly as a school event! Lily was enough for this lifetime!" He raised his voice over mine.

I went silent. I felt bad now that I understood his motives.

"You're right. I feel so selfish.. I should have known this would affect more than just me. I understand why you did that now Severus.. Your heart was in the right place." I apologized, seeing his face soften only slightly.

"Thank you for understanding. Now. As I am unable to alter this unfavorable outcome.. I'd like to give you something that will increase your chances of survival in the first task. Follow me." He told me as he left the spot behind his desk and picked up his pace towards the door of his classroom.

I followed, not sure what he was going to do. We made our way down a couple corridors to what looked like a storage closet. Inside, the walls were lined with shelves of different items. Mostly mason jars with various potions ingredients. Severus began to climb a ladder to reach something on one of the top shelves.

"Ah. There it is." He muttered.

He stepped down from the ladder and handed me a jar of some sort of seaweed. He noticed my confused face and rolled his eyes.

"Gillyweed. Once eaten you should be granted the ability to breath underwater for up to an hour. Do not loose this." He told me as he pressed the jar into my hand, touching my hand for a second.

I blushed as I took the jar from him and smiled at it before looking back up at him.

"Thank you, Severus." I said.

Apparently the same brain cell that makes all the irrational decisions in my mind told me to hug him. So I did. It was awkward, to say the least. I backed up after a couple seconds and blushed.

"I should be going to my dorm room now. It's past curfew.." I explained with a nervous smile.

Severus was staring at me until he shook his head to snap out of his 'trance'.

" Agreed. It is half past 9." He replied awkwardly.

"Ok then, goodnight, Severus." I said before leaving in the direction of the Common Room.

Yet another awkward encounter with Severus.. Great.