Assignment

~Infirmary - November 18th - Monday Morning~

Your POV:

Madam Pomfrey said she will keep me in the Infirmary until tonight to keep an eye on my arm's healing process, meaning I have to work on the assignment Severus had given me last night. I finished it after almost 3 hours, which made me tired, so I set the assignment on the night stand next to the cot.

'I'll still have to make up the assignments from my other classes though..' I remembered while sighing and laying down.

I closed my eyes and thought about my conversation with Severus from last night. I'm glad that he's letting me call him Severus in private now. I fell asleep shortly after.

-Monday Evening-

I woke up to Madam Pomfrey telling me that I was allowed to leave now. My arm had apparently almost grown back completely while I slept, so I didn't need the bandage anymore either. I was happy and thanked her before she left to attend to a more recent patient. I reached over to the night stand to grab my Potions assignment, but just felt the sleek wood surface of said night stand. I panicked and shot up into a sitting position. The assignment was gone!

'Are you kidding me!? That took me 3 hours to complete..' I internally fumed.

Other than the assignment, I noticed a single flower on the nightstand. It was a dark red rose. I had no idea who left it there. Severus? No. That flower wasn't there last night when he had left. I took the flower and then went to look for Lucas. I found him in the Slytherin Common Room.

"Hey Lucas. Did you happen to see my Potions assignment from class?" I asked.

"What do you mean? You weren't in class today." Lucas replied.

"Professor Snape brought me the assignment late last night. I finished the assignment this morning and then fell asleep. I woke up half an hour ago and noticed it was gone." I refrained from saying Severus' first name because there were other Slytherins in the Common Room.

"No sorry. I don't know since Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let me see you this morning." Lucas replied.

I groaned and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Hey, where did you get the rose from?" Lucas asked.

I looked at the rose in my hand and then looked back towards Lucas.

"It was on my night stand when I woke up a little while ago. I don't know where it came from." I replied.

"Maybe it's from a secret admirer." Lucas teased.

"No. No way. How could someone possibly like me like that?" I denied the possibility.

"You're too modest (Y/N). Honestly it could be anyone based on your popularity here at Hogwarts." Lucas chuckled.

"Maybe someone put it there as a get well soon gift?" I said as I thought of the possibilities.

"Maybe, who knows." Lucas said.

There was silence for a second before I spoke up.

"You know what? I'm going to see if Madam Pomfrey brought Professor Snape my assignment." I told him.

"Ok, I'll wait for you here. I have something to tell you when you get back." Lucas said.

"Alright, see you in a bit." I replied, leaving to find Severus.

-Potions Classroom-

I knocked on the door to the Potions Classroom and heard Severus say 'come in.'

"Hello, Severus." I said, making sure there weren't any other students before I said his first name.

"What are you doing here this late. It is almost curfew." He replied from his desk, surprised about my arrival.

"I came to ask if Madam Pomfrey brought you my assignment by any chance." I asked, nervous about his response.

"She did not." He replied quickly.

I groaned pretty loudly, upset about the situation I was in.

'I'm going to have to start the assignment all over again..' I thought.

"Because I came to retrieve it." Severus said a few seconds later.

My mind went blank to process what Severus just told me.

"You scared me for a second! I thought I would have to start the assignment all over again!" I said, slightly pissed off, but relieved.

He chuckled and smiled for a millisecond, if at all. He then set his papers aside.

"Why do you not smile more often?" I ask, resting one hand on my hip, holding the rose in the other.

"I don't believe I have much to smile about. Incompetent students. Terrible assignments.." He replies, loosing the spark in his eye from when he chuckled.

"It's nice though." I blurted out without thinking.

He just looked at me with a raised brow and then turned his attention to the rose in my hand.

"Oh, yeah, about this. I wanted to ask if you might have left this red rose on my nightstand this morning or something.." I asked, still somewhat nervous.

"A red rose..?" Severus seemed confused about what I was implying.

"Wait.. you really didn't put it there?" I asked once more, feeling quite embarrassed already.

"No. Why would I have done that?" Severus replied, sounding a bit aggravated now.

"I-I don't know. You know what? Nevermind.. I don't know why I thought it was from you in the first place.. Goodnight, Severus." I blurted out what I wanted to say before leaving the room as quickly as possible.

I groaned as I thought about the embarrassing encounter I just had. But now that I think about it, Severus seemed as though he were jealous when I showed him the rose. He could have also just been in a bad mood..

I decided to forget what had happened for now and made my way to the Common Room again.

"Hey Lucas." I said as I sat down next to him on the sofa.

"How'd it go?" He asked me.

"Madam Pomfrey didn't bring him the assignment.." I started.

"Oh no, do you have to rewrite it?" He asked.

"No. Because Professor Snape picked it up. And he startled me the same way I concerned you just now! He made me think I lost it for a second." I explained.

"Wow." He chuckled.

I elbowed him playfully for thinking it was funny. Ok maybe it was a little bit funny.

"Hey, I wanted to tell you what Professor Dumbledore announced to all the students at Lunch earlier." Lucas told me as he turned to face me.

"What is it?" I asked as I set the rose down on the table.

"He announced that the Tri-Wizard Tournament is going to be held here this year! There's a whole Goblet of Fire in the Great Hall and everything! Even the other two schools who are competing are here! Are you going to enter?" He asked me.

"Wait really!? I thought we weren't going to have it this year?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes really! Are you going to enter? Because The names will be read this Thursday." Lucas informed me.

"I've always wanted to! My parents were both in it when they attended, so I want to do the same." I confirmed.

"Great! Lets put your name in tomorrow at dinner time." Lucas smiled.

"Ok, but for now, goodnight." I smiled back.

"Goodnight." He replied as I got up, grabbed the rose and made my way to my dorm room.