Chapter 47- It Was Too Damn Late

A/N: Ughhhh omg Justarandomgirl240 you deserved this soooo much sooner but life's been hectic. THANK YOU so much for being so kind and helping me with story ideas, you're so much fun to chat to on sc. You're amazing!!

--------------------------------------

We walked out the store hand in hand. I had just got my new iPhone (Thanks to the best boyfriend in the world) and we had bought some security cameras. "Want to go home?" Colby asked looking down at me. "Sure," I smiled as we headed towards the doors of the mall. I let go of Colby's hand to start setting up my phone, I was a quite sad to lose my pictures but there is a chance I could get them back from the police in the future. We were walking along the path outside the mall towards Colby's car. It was a warm day with the sun glaring down on me, I wore some sports leggings with a knitted maroon sweater. Colby was wearing his usual black ripped skinny jeans with a black and white striped shirt.

"What was the pl-" Colby started a new conversation but was intensely interrupted as a body came flying towards us from the alley we were passing. I felt the man grab me roughly as I dropped my phone and he pulled me into the alley. "GET OFF ME!" I screech while kicking and punching everything around me. "Hey!" Colby's angry voice rung through my ears from behind. The stranger had my back pressed against his chest as he held my wrists with his one hand painfully. Tears started rolling down my face as I continued to fight my way out of the man's hold. He faced me towards Colby who was marching over but stopped suddenly as his face noticeably drained in colour. I followed what he was looking at and saw a knife being brought closer to me with the man's other hand. "You better stop fighting sunshine," the voice said sarcastically. Oh that voice. The voice of my nightmares. The voice that scarred me for life, the reason for my trust issues...the reason my life got flipped upside down.

"Mitch?" I whispered pathetically. I caught Colby's eyes after I said this, and they had flared into an unrecognisable anger. "Let her go right now," he threatened, his voice low enough to almost be a growl. "I don't think you have the say in the situation buddy," Mitch wickedly cackled as the knife was brought to the skin of my neck. Goosebumps of fear raised on my body. I wanted to hold Colby, I wanted to hug him and hear him say everything would be okay. "What do you want? Haven't you done enough?" I croaked out. His body vibrated in laughter, "I never killed you, so your parents didn't give me my money, all I got was police chasing me. Now I need my money and the only way I can get that is if I kill you and give them photo proof." I whimpered in fear and looked at Colby, he was scared and beyond angry...two opposite emotions that somehow blended in his eyes easily.

"I'll give you the money- I'll give you anything, just let her go," Colby bargained while taking a step closer. "Her parents promised me more money, a lot more. An amount with other perks I know you can't match," he said while squeezing me closer, my wrists burned in pain and uncomfortableness. "I'll give more. Just. Let. Her. Go. Now." Colby demanded while taking more steps closer. "You can't give me more, believe me. Riley, remember that night I brought you on that date to the fair? We went on the Ferris wheel. I was going the kiss you at the top... but then I saw a notification on your phone from Tyler, my best friend. That hurt me Riley, you texting my best friend on our date. Then at school the next week I was going to sit with you at lunch but every day you were hanging out with Tyler... That hurt me," I listened confused...what was he going on about? "Tyler was just my frie-" "Yada yada yada, that's not what he told me," Mitch growled in my ear.

"You can't tell me this is why you're doing all this," I mutter in disbelief as I try to manoeuvre my body into a position that could hurt him in. "No... But I just wanted your boyfriend over here to know what you're really like, a lying, cheating-" he started to list but I cut in, "I never cheated on you Mitch, you were my everything. I was trying to help Tyler get through a hard time with his family... You were too busy trying to frame me for cheating then to see your best friend going through hell," I argued back but regretted it as he started digging the blade of the knife into my skin, the feeling made PTSD run through my body. "DON'T TURN THIS BACK AROUND ON ME," He screamed in my ear. "MAYBE I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO MAKE KILLING YOU EASIER, I LOVED YOU RILEY! I HAD TO DATE YOU FOR 6 MONTHS KNOWING I'D BE THE REASON FOR YOUR DEATH, YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY I NEEDED THE MONEY! I REALLY DID LOVE YOU BUT I GOT TO GET THIS OVER AND DONE WITH!" He frantically shouted as I heard sirens in the far distance. He was making no sense! Cheating? Tyler saying differently? Needing the money?

I got ready for the knife to finish me, but instead I felt a huge shove in my left side. I went flying into the cement floor and brick wall that lined the alley. "Don't ever think about touching my girl again!" Colby's voice screamed in anger. I looked up to see him on top of Mitch throwing punches at him left and right. Mitch was trying to dodge Colby's fists and fight back but he was in the more vulnerable position. I watched as Mitch started to lose consciousness, I stood up quickly and ran over to Colby. "Colby! Colby stop!" I cried. If he killed him, he'd be in jail for life. I grabbed Colby's shoulders and pulled him back with all my strength. He whipped around with anger in his eyes, but they softened when he saw my state. He looked down at Mitch quickly who was beat up and out cold, then he pulled me into the tightest hug I'd ever had. It was hard to breathe but I honestly didn't care, I clung onto him for dear life as I bawled into his shoulder. We cried together him silently but me loudly. A small crowd had gathered at the exit of the alley, one of them must have called the police.

But then it all happened.

So fast.

I saw Mitch slowly stand up like a zombie out of a grave.

With Colby's back to him he had no idea.

I watched frozen in time looking over Colby's shoulder.

The only words I got to mutter were "NO, COLBY!"

But it was too late.

It was too damn late.

Mitch's knife struck Colby in the back.

Colby's body jerked forward... we were still holding each other.

I guess I always knew Mitch would hurt the people I love, not me. I should of left before this happened... Ran when I had the chance to save my friends. Now here I was, holding the love of my life's limp body in my arms. I had fallen on my knees when his body weight fell fully on me, now I held him close as his eyes closed. He was breathing weakly as the police and ambulances came. I saw in my provisional vision through my tear blurred eyes that they arrested Mitch a few metres away. But I was focused on Colby. I didn't hear anything until a man in an ambulance suit shook my shoulders so hard, I was brought back to reality. "Miss let go now so we can save him!" he shouted at me, but sympathy was in his eyes. I let go quickly and watched as they lifted him on a gurney. They manoeuvred him so he lay on his side and wheeled him to the ambulance. "Miss are you hurt? Please follow us," an ambulance woman instructed and motioned me to another gurney. "No, I'll be fine, just bruised. Please let me go with my boyfriend," I cried, and she looked at Colby's ambulance and looked me up and down. "As long as you're not in serious pain?" she checked, and I shook my head to say I'm not.

She nodded her head and I thanked her then ran to Colby's ambulance and sat where the paramedic instructed me to go. I grabbed his hand that lay wired up next to his side. He had wires hooked up to him everywhere and a breathing mask on his face. He was lying on his side towards me, so I kissed his cheek and cried. I cried and cried. I cried while the paramedics asked me questions (which I answered), I cried when they passed me mine and his belongings, I just couldn't hold back my tears any longer. I opened the brown paper bag and took out Colby's phone, I used my fingerprint to unlock it and I went to contacts and pressed on Sam's name.

"Hey Colby! What's up?" he picked up happily after a couple rings.

"Sam..." I sniffled.