Chapter 21 - Too Short

"This is partner work and it's due in three days," my Science teacher, Miss Dunbar, says handing out the sheets. "The person next to you is your partner," she adds.

Groaning, I turn to Jacob. "You don't want me as your partner?" He feigns hurt.

"It's not like I even get a choice."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

I feel a vibration in my pocket and check my phone to see a message from Steven. We had exchanged numbers last night after I'd taken him to his car.

Steven:

I'll pick you up when school's over and we can go grab coffee :)

The point of him picking me up after school was so Jacob could see me with Steven, I had 8 days left including today and I'm pretty sure I was nowhere near breaking his heart.

"Who's that?" Jacob asks me leaning over my shoulder.

"Nobody," I quickly type back a reply and send it before my phone is pulled out of my hands.

"Jacob! No texting in class! We'll see if you're allowed to text during lunch detention today."

"I didn't even do anything!"

"So why is your phone in your hand and why is it open in messages?"

"This isn't even my phone!"

"Lunch detention tomorrow as well."

"What?!" He throws his arms into the air in disbelief.

"Jacob, just shut up," I hiss at him. He slumps in his seat, "this is your fault, you just had to text in class," he whispers.

"And you just had to be nosy and take my phone from me," I whisper back.

"Riley! Be quiet I'm trying to explain the assignment! Lunch detention for you as well!"

"What!" I shout standing up. "I didn't even do anything!"

"Do you want another detention?"

"No," I reply sitting back in my seat.

From beside me, I hear Jacob snicker. I whack him on the head and take back my phone.

"You may discuss with your partner," the teacher says allowing us to talk about our assignment.

Turning to Jacob, I thrust the information into his hand. "Read what it says."

"Why?"

"Just read it, I'm pretty sure you weren't listening to the teacher."

"Yes I was!"

"Whatever, read."

"You read it," he throws the sheet at me.

"I actually listen. You read it," I throw the paper back at him.

"I listen as well," he shoves the sheet into my hand.

"That's a funny joke," I shove the paper into his chest.

"You take it," he pushes the sheet towards me.

"I don't want it, you take it!"

"I don't want it either, you take-" Jacob starts but is interrupted by one of his friends in front of us.

"Shut up! If you really don't want it, chuck it out the window," he grabs the sheet from us and walks over to the window. Pulling it open, he chucks the sheet outside.

"Miles! No littering! You can have lunch detention as well!"

"Are you serious?" He breathes a sigh before sitting down.