Chapter 23 - Crying

"This was all for some stupid bet! You never cared! You never liked me! This was all for money!"

"Who told you that?"

"Who told me that?! Why does it matter? You played me like an idiot! You lied to me! You lied! That's all you ever did!" I'm shouting by now and getting a few weird looks.

"Everything I said, I didn't mean it."

"That's what they always say!"

"Riley, please. Just listen to me."

"Listen to you? No thanks," I start to walk away but he pulls me back.

"Riley, please. Let me explain."

"No. Just stop. I know what you're doing."

"What are you talking about?"

"This act. This whole stupid act! You still want the money and you need me for another month and a half to get it! Well you know what? Screw you. Screw you and your money. Screw you and your little f'd up brain. Screw you and your life. Screw you."

And with that, I stomp away ignoring the look of hurt plastered across his face.

-----------

For the past few days I had been holed up in my room, cut off from the outside world. No, I was not crying because of Jacob. I just felt like I needed time to get over this whole incident.

"Riley?" I hear a knock at the door.

"Go away."

"No."

"Daniel, go away."

I hear a few clicks and a few seconds later, my door swings open.

"How did you do that?"

"Picked the lock. How else do you think I stole your credit card?"

"You stole my credit card?!" I get up from my bed and grab my wallet.

"You didn't kno- oh nevermind."

"Just tell me what you want."

"Jacob's here to see you."

I freeze. Jacob's here to see me. Jacob's here to see me. Jacob's here to see me.

"Tell him I'm not here."

"Lying is a sin," an all too familiar voice says from the doorstep.

"I should be the one to say that."

I hear the door shut behind me and low sounding footsteps come towards me.

"Riley, I'm sorry."

"Don't say it unless you mean it."

"I do, Riley, I really do mean it. It started off as a bet and evolved into something more."

"That's a little cliche, don't you think?"

"Well what can I do about that?"

"Leave."

I hear him sigh behind me and can imagine him running a hand through his hair.

"Riley! Just stop this for a minute. I know you have feelings for me, they couldn't have just disappeared."

"Yes they can and they have," I feel as if he can see through my lies.

"No, they haven't."

"Goddamit Jacob!" I shout turning to face him. "They're gone. Now please leave! I don't wanna see you again unless it's for the survival of the human race. I can't believe you're still trying to win the $1000! If you want it so badly go hump and dump another chick for three months!"

"Riley, it isn't like that."

"It's exactly like that!" By now, tears are threatening to escape and I use all my willpower to keep them from falling.

"Will you just listen to me?"

"No. Please leave."

"Why do you think I chose you out of everyone to make the bet with?"

The questions takes me by surprise and leaves me stuttering, "b-because you h-hate me."

"The opposite actually."

"I'm not following."

"I could've chosen anyone on the bleachers to make the bet with but I chose you."

"I feel so honoured," sarcasm drips through my voice.

"Riley, think about it. Why would I choose you out of everyone there?" He continues.

"Because you hate me and you wanna make my life miserable."

"You already said something like that."

"Well it's the truth isn't it."

"Why are you so oblivious," I hear him mutter.

"I'm not! I know what you're doing! You're still trying to get the stupid money."

He places his hands on my shoulders and leans down so his face is inches from mine.

I should pull away but I don't.

I should break eye contact but I don't.

I should stop listening to him but I don't.

"Look, forget about the money, forget about everything else for just a few minutes. I like you. I likeeeeeeee you. I chose you to make the bet with because I like you. I was hoping there'd be something more by the time the bet was over."

I'm speechless once again. I wanna point out the fact he's lying but in his eyes I can only see sincerity.

"I-I-I-I-- get out," I point towards the door.

"W-what?"

"Did you really think you could come in here, say a few words and expect me to fall head over heels for you once again?" I truly have no idea what I'm doing.

"Kind of."

"Out!" I push him out the door and he doesn't resist. Slamming the door, tears silently fall.

Why am I even crying?

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Please comment and vote!