Beric Dondarrion X Reader - Renegades

A/N- this imagine was inspired by the lyrics to the song 'Renegades' by X Ambassadors. I may have used this for inspiration but I cannot, for the life of me, remember. I hope you all enjoy it, even if it is a little bit short.

"Lord Stark is sending me after the Mountain." The words sliced through you like a broadsword, cutting deep into your heart. A long-held breath escaped your throat, leaving you speechless for just a moment.

"That would be suicide," you uttered softly, reaching out and taking Beric's hand in yours. "Surely, he must realise that he is sending you to your death in setting you this task."

Beric released a shaking breath, closing the space between you and pressing a gentle kiss to your forehead. "He does," he told you softly, "but he has no choice. And now, neither do I."

"We could run away," you muttered, tucking your chin against Beric's chest to look up at him, "go to the ends of the earth and never come back." You paused for a moment, watching as his eyes fell closed. "What would your precious Lord Stark do then?"

Beric's sigh echoed around your chambers, bouncing from wall to wall and encompassing you both in his frustration. "He would have me killed, and you along with me, for disobeying orders from the King." His eyes opened, meeting yours for just a moment, and then his hand was cupping your cheek and his lips were on yours and your world was turning upside down. "I'm sorry."

"Darling, don't-" you started softly, your hand shifting to rest over his. It was only then that you recognised the tears in his eyes and your chest tightened. "We'll be okay." Lie. It was so blatant that it made you feel sick.

You reached up, wiping away the tears on his cheeks. "You must promise me-" he started softly, leaning in to press his forehead to yours "-that you will marry again." 

You scoffed at his words, shaking your head. "Beric," you began softly but he shook his head.

"Just please, promise me this."

"There is no man on this earth that would ever be able to take your place as my husband," you muttered, "and I am not willing to make a vow that I have no intention of fulfilling." You leant in, kissing him again.

*Time Skip*

You weren't quite certain how you had managed to convince Beric to let you travel with him, but whatever you had said had worked wonders. Your horse travelled beside his, trotting along happily, as though it wasn't carrying you both towards your inevitable death. You had long accepted that there would be no place left for you in King's Landing after Beric was gone, and you would have rather died a gruesome death with him than on your own.

In all honesty, the journey had taken a little longer than it should have. Travelling to Clegane's Keep would usually only be a few days ride, but you had moved at a leisurely pace, enjoying your last few days together. Savouring the moments you got to remain in each others company.

But soon enough, it had to come to an end and you saw the Keep growing larger on the horizon.

"We could still turn back," you uttered to Beric, just loud enough that he could hear you over the wind that was sweeping across your travel companions. 

"You know, as well as I do, that running is not an option."

You turned to fully look at your husband, taking in the handsome features that you had grown to love over the years.  You stretched out your hand, reaching out for him, a small, sad smile gracing your lips. "I love you," you told him softly, as he slipped his hand into yours, giving it a light squeeze.

"We should stop for the night," he uttered back, "we will have a better chance of surviving if we are well-rested." You nodded your agreement as he pulled away from you, riding forward to tell his men their new orders.

Beric had cried when he held you, that night; the taste of his tears lingering on your lips from the kisses you shared. He had always loved the way you would cling to him as you slept, keeping him as close as you could manage, but now it scared him. You would do anything to see him safe, but this time there was nothing you could do, and he wouldn't allow you to sacrifice yourself alongside him. 

He slipped out of your grip, mumbling a soft goodbye in your ear as you continued to sleep soundly. And then, he roused his men and rode towards his death.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x