Robb Stark X Reader - Breathe

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Breathe (2AM)' by Anna Nalick. I hope you all enjoy it.

The world had become a different place since you were a child. It was startling really, how it had gone from a place so full of love to one of fear, so quickly. It had hit the young people the worst. They had gone from sheltered children to scared adults, hyper-aware of the state the Seven Kingdoms had found themselves in, and none of them had a chance to understand it. 

Sansa had spent hours with you in King's Landing, speaking of her fears as though you would have any clue as to how you could help her. You were only a few years her senior, and yet she expected you to understand the world in its entirety. You didn't. You doubted you ever would. But you had helped her anyway.  

"I don't love the king," she had told you, so matter-of-fact that it left you a little startled. She was never this certain about anything, and here she was, denouncing her future husband as though it meant nothing. 

"I don't think many women love their betrothed," you had told her, breaking the silence that had begun to stretch between you. Honestly, you weren't so sure. You certainly loved yours, but you had grown to believe that all women felt that way. 

Sansa's brow furrowed slightly as she watched you. "Don't you love Robb?"

"Of course I do," you told her softly, "but it's not like I have much choice now, is it?" 

"Oh," she started softly, picking at the skin at the edge of her nail until you reached out to stop her. "I just assumed," she added, frowning slightly. 

You shrugged slightly, "I don't know what you want me to say," you uttered, watching her intently. "In all honestly, it seems that if I continue to love your brother I will probably not make it to my wedding day," you paused, a small, sad smile coming to your lips. "But, I believe that you marrying our King will keep you alive, whether you want to love him or not." 

"But-"

"Sansa," you interrupted quickly, "if it comes to it, you must lie to him. Make him believe that you are completely and utterly in love with him, or he will grow tired of you."

Sansa nodded, but she didn't look so convinced by your words. The poor child was scared enough already, without having to add lying to her king and future husband to her mind. Perhaps, she would be better off if she didn't love him. If he did grow bored and marry her off elsewhere. 

"And," you added softly, "I will soon fall before him and beg for my engagement to be called off. Tell him that I would rather marry anyone other than Robb. That I couldn't bare to be the wife of a traitor, even though it will kill me to do it." You paused for a moment, holding back your tears. "He will understand that I had no choice."

"Will he?" 

You thought for a moment, your lips pursing as you considered the question. "At this point, I'm not sure it will matter either way." 

*Time Skip*

You paused at the door of the Throne room, looking down as your straightened out your skirts. It had taken every ounce of bravery you had left in you to make it this far, and already you regretted your decision to come. You couldn't bare the thought of hurting Robb, but you knew that your only other option was to run away in the hopes of finding him, and you doubted your own ability to navigate your way back to him.

You took another deep breath before stepping forward and pushing the door open. The Throne room was loud, the King rattling on about something or other as you approached him at the front of the room. As you came to a halt, Sansa caught your attention, sitting to your left with a bruise on her perfect cheek, and your heart almost snapped in half. 

"My Lady," Joffrey started, drawing your attention back to him as you forced a smile.

"Your Grace," you started softly, giving a short curtsey. 

Joffrey smiled down at you. "How can we be of service?"

"I am here to request something of you, Your Grace." You paused for a moment watching as he waved for you to continue. "I would like for my engagement to be called off, Your Grace." The room was silent, and you felt as though your heart could burst from your chest. "What with the circumstances," you added softly, watching as he began to smirk down at you. 

You wanted to vomit when the smile spread into a malicious smile. He was enjoying this, watching as you tore apart your own heart in front of him. "And what circumstances would those be?"

There was a moment of hesitation, and then you released a deep breath. "My betrothed is a traitor, Your Grace. I would not want to betray the crown by marrying into his family." Gods, this hurt so much more than you had expected, and you felt tears prickling at your eyes. 

"A smart decision, My Lady," he told you, causing you to glance up as he grinned down at you. "Your request has been noted, I'll have one of my council see to it for you." 

"Thank you, Your Grace," you stated, your voice sticking in your throat for a moment, before you managed to swallow. "May I be excused?" 

He hummed slightly, "no," he told you firmly, "I think you ought to sit in on the rest of today's court." 

"Of course, Your Grace." You moved over to sit beside Sansa, keeping your smile fixed on your face though you wanted nothing more than to dissolve into tears. You felt Sansa's hand find yours on the bench, hidden between the two of you. A secret understanding for you both. 

"Breathe," she uttered softly, so quiet that you weren't quite certain she had said anything at all. "You need to stop smiling and just breathe," she added, hand squeezing yours slightly. You did as you were told, taking in a deep gulp of air and bowing your head to look down at your lap. "You did well," she murmured again, before pulling her hand from yours and allowing it to retreat, leaving you alone once more. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x