Robb Stark X Reader - Ego

A/N- This imagine is based on the song 'Ego' by The Saturdays, a song which 14 year old me used to sing with the passion of a woman scorned, despite having never had my heart broken. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had always tried your best to be a good wife. It was the one thing you had never doubted about yourself, the one thing you were truly successful in. Keeping Robb happy was you biggest accomplishment, and you had assumed you would continue doing so until the day you left earth. 

Gods, you had been so fickle to think that Robb would feel the same way. To believe that he would be loyal to you, and do his best to keep you as happy as you did for him. But no, he had gained the smallest amount of power and his pretty little Northern wife had slipped from his mind as quickly as he had fallen for you.

He had stepped into your tent one evening, finding you sitting at your makeshift desk, writing, and he had made his decision. It was time.

Robb paused, watching you for a moment, until you glanced up at him, smiling softly. "Hello," you started softly, sitting up to look at him properly.

"Hello," he responded, voice catching for a moment as he considered his next words. "We need to talk."

Your smile faded slightly as you stood, nodding. "What is it we need to discuss, My Sweet?" You approached him quickly and pressed a chaste kiss to his lips, taking one of his hands in yours as you forced the smile back onto your lips.

"I'm leaving you," he answered suddenly, knocking the air from your lungs as though he had struck you. 

"I-" you started, mouth hanging open for a moment as you searched for anything to say.

"I don't love you anymore."

Your sadness was gone in an instant, replaced by pure fury as you stared up at him, your face contorting into a hard mask of anger. "How dare you," you growled at him, teeth bared as you shoved his chest roughly, "how fucking dare you." Robb remained silent, simply looking at you as you lost your mind. "I have loved you for six years," you spat at him, "and you want to stand here and throw that back in my face, after everything I've done for you?"

"I didn't ask you to-"

"You didn't have to," you interrupted, shaking your head. "I helped you pick up your broken pieces because you needed me. But now... I don't think I even know who you are anymore."

"I can't force myself to love you," Robb's voice was so loud that it caught you off guard, causing tears to flood your eyes. 

The tent remained silent for a moment, and you continued staring at Robb, the pain so evident on your face that it left him unable to look at you. "They don't love you," you finally uttered, "they don't care about you, they care about your name.  And they would have followed any of your brothers in your place."

"Don't-" Robb started again, but you simply shook your head.

"If you are serious about ending us, you need to know that I won't be here for you when it's all over." You paused for a moment and shook your head. "I won't be the one putting you back together when this war destroys you." 

Robb finally looked at you, his frown deeper than you had ever seen it before. "I don't want you to be." 

"You aren't fit to be King. If you can't remain loyal to your wife how will you remain loyal to your people?"

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that," he uttered softly, "because you're hurt, but it would be considered treason for you to speak to me that way, now."

"Fuck you."

Robb nodded slightly, and continued to talk. "Theon will take you back to Winterfell, and you will stay there until safe passage can be found to take you back to your father's home." Robb gave you another short nod, before making his way towards the exit. "I wish you good travels, Y/N."

As Robb exited your tent, Theon entered, the look on his face so pained that you almost felt bad for a moment. "I thought you might like some company," he told you softly, and you nodded as he reached for you, pulling you into a tight embrace. Theon had always been one of your closest friends in Winterfell, he understood what it was to be one of the outsiders in the Stark family, and he had kept you company more times than you could count.

You stood like that for a moment, huddled into his warmth as you came to terms with being an unmarried woman again. Gods, you hadn't ever been an unmarried woman before, in all honesty. You had been so young when you had married Robb that you could hardly have been considered a woman. Fifteen years old and married to the future Warden of the North. And now, here you were, twenty-one and alone again. 

"You deserve better than him," Theon murmured in your ear, his grip on you tightening for just a second before he released you. 

You hummed slightly, making your way over to your trunk and gathering a few of your things to begin packing. 

"I mean it, Robb was a terrible husband, and you, gods, there's not a woman alive who could have been a better wife." 

You closed your eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. "But I'm not a wife anymore, am I?" You paused, shaking your head. "I know you may think it strange, but I love him, Theon. Even when he was being a terrible husband, and he was making me miserable, I still loved him."

Theon nodded slightly. "But you'll love again. Plenty of women remarry."

"No. Plenty of widows remarry. Usually people remain married until one of them dies."

"Well, Robb is an idiot for letting you go. And you will find someone who appreciates you properly."

You smiled softly, taking Theon's hand in yours for a moment and giving it a quick squeeze. "Thank you."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x