Stark!Reader - Ghost

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Ghost' by Ella Henderson. I may end up continuing this at some point, but I'm not certain yet. I hope you all enjoy it.

When you were young you had hated living at Winterfell. It was cold, and dull, and it was one of the most boring places in the Seven Kingdoms. You had been taught all about the interesting parts of the world. Dorne with its exotic climate, and King's Landing with the dramatics of court life, and even the Iron Islands sounded like more fun than the North. You spent so long wishing to leave that you had been lost for words when you father had told you that you would be moving to the capital with him. You were excited, of course you were, but suddenly the doubt began to settle. You had no clue how to act amongst other men and women, only your family, and you were readying yourself the entire journey for the ultimate culture shock.

It hadn't been quite what you had been expecting. When you had imagined a life at court it had been dramatic and intriguing, but in reality it was just tiresome. It turns out that drama was only interesting when it was observed from a distance. 

Even the prince seemed to stop fulfilling your expectations. At first he had seemed rather sweet, if a little arrogant, but on the road something in him had changed. You assumed it was to do with Arya and her butcher's boy. As it turned out, the prince didn't much enjoy being made to look foolish. Now, he seemed distant, as though he wanted nothing to do with you and your impending wedding.  

It wasn't until his father's death that he became erratic. In fact, all of the capital seemed to change all of a sudden. The perfect, noble place seemed to grow tense, and claims of all sorts had begun to fly. And then your father had been arrested, and Septa Mordane had been killed, and Arya had disappeared. Everything was moving so fast that you couldn't quite figure out what was happening. Instead, you kept Sansa close and promised yourself that you would keep her safe, though you were unsure of how to do so. 

You probably should have been ashamed that the Queen was the first person you had turned to. Soon, she would be your mother by law, and surely she would think to protect you and your sister. And she had, for a time, with the promise that you would write to Robb about your happiness and your continued betrothal. It was a betrayal to your father, you knew as much, but what else could you do? You had grown certain that you would die here if you did nothing. And so, you betrayed him.

*Time Skip*

"Your Grace," you started as Joffrey walked into the room. You almost tumbled to the ground as you got caught in your skirts in your attempt to curtsey for him. You had already grown to hate your future husband, but above all else was fear. To see what he had done to your father, in front of your own eyes, your sister's eyes, there was no doubt in your mind that he would be capable of far worse. 

"Walk with me." It wasn't a request, it never was really, more of an order. He made those quite frequently now.

You nodded. "If that will please you, Your Grace." He didn't smile, but simply began walking, exiting the room in what could only be described as a brusque fashion. You hurried to follow, passing his guard as you managed to catch up with him. "Where will we be walking too?" 

The smirk that came to his lips made you want to vomit, and the idea of someday having to share your bed with him made your stomach turn. "You'll see," he answered, not once turning to look you in the eye. 

After that, you walked in silence, moving with him like a shadow, as if a single step out of time would lead to your demise. You almost collided with him when he stopped, his smile growing as he finally turned to look at you. 

"Do you like your surprise?" he asked you, his pearly white teeth now fully on display for you. You realised quite suddenly that he had never seemed to happy to be in your presence, and then, within a moment, you recognised where you were.