TWENTY

The oak door creaked open ominously, casting a strip of light from the landing into the bedroom

The oak door creaked open ominously, casting a strip of light from the landing into the bedroom. A head poked around the door, long hair falling as it tilted, followed by a slender silhouette, which slid through the crack in the doorway, before softly closing it, throwing the room into darkness once more.

"James?" A soft voice floated across the room, shattering the otherwise peaceful silence.

"Thalia? Are you okay?" The boy replied hurriedly, his own voice bursting with concern.

"I-I'm okay, I just couldn't sleep. Too much on my mind, you know?" She stuttered out. The boy fumbled around in the velvety blackness for a second, before a snapping sound was heard, and the soft yellow glow of his bedside lamp illuminated the two figures.

"Yeah," he replied heavily. "I know." He noticed the girl shivering slightly, as she was only wearing an oversized t-shirt that came down to her mid thighs, so he pulled back one side of his duvet, revealing his toned abs and muscular shoulders, before patting the space next to him, inviting her into his warm bed. She slipped under the covers gratefully, curling herself awkwardly away from him. The pair silently sat like that for a few minutes, Thalia's knees drawn to her chest, and her arms wrapped around them whilst she perched on the very edge of the bed, whilst the boy sat cross legged, looking at her curiously, before James spoke.

"Do you want to talk about it?" However the girl shook her head,

"It makes it more real if I do." she whispered and James nodded, checking his watch. 11:45 pm. It wasn't that late. An idea popped into his head. A very good one if he was honest. Silently congratulating himself for his excellent thoughts, he replied;

"Would you like me to tell you a story? I know all of The Tales of Beedle the Bard off by heart." She tilted her head to look at him.

"You know all of them?" She asked incredulously, to which he nodded, a pale blush rising on his cheeks.

"My mum always read them to me when I couldn't sleep. Surprisingly, I had quite severe insomnia as a child, so it was a regular occurence."

"Surprisingly?"

"Yeah, you know, how could anyone look this good with so little sleep, right?" She scoffed and rolled her eyes, playfully reaching over and punching his arm, however a grin was evident on her lips, all the overwhelming thoughts temporarily forgotten. "Anyway, what'll it be tonight mademoiselle? The Fountain of Fair Fortune? The Wizard and the Hopping Pot? Oooh, how about The Warlock's Hairy Heart? That was a favourite of mine, along with Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump!" Thalia laughed as the boy beside her grew excited over the thought of re-telling his childhood favourites.

"Hmmm, it's a difficult one..." She mused, tapping a slender index finger repeatedly on her chin. "I reckon we should go with The Warlock's Hairy Heart. I'm ghoulishly intrigued you see..."