FOURTY-EIGHT

It had been about 15 painstaking minutes of nervous pacing from James, soothing murmurs from Thalia, foot tappings from Remus, pungent sweating from Peter and the occasional appearance of Sirius' head from behind the white double hinged door panti...

It had been about 15 painstaking minutes of nervous pacing from James, soothing murmurs from Thalia, foot tappings from Remus, pungent sweating from Peter and the occasional appearance of Sirius' head from behind the white double hinged door panting; "She's doing fine!"  before racing back to his currently cursing wife, cries of:

"I am fucking pushing!" and "I'm giving birth not going deaf, you daft dimbo!", bouncing down the white polished corridor, much to the amusement of the pregnant woman's entourage of friends and family. Finally, finally, with a yell of, "Say that again and I'll rip off-AARGHH", the baby was out. Presumably before Eloise could finish her threat, to whom and what for remaining an irrelevant mystery. As the baby came into existence, it's bespectacled uncle/godfather went bounding in, respective godmother in tow.

"LET ME SEE MY GODCHILD!" He bellowed,

"YEAH, WE HAVE RIGHTS! WE'RE RELATED BY BLOOD AND BY THE LORD!" Thalia seconded, not giving a thought to the fact that her and James were yet to...even consider tying the knot.

"Prongs! Pup! He's sleeping!" His mother scolded, said baby scrunching his nose as the noises startled him.

"Oops, sorry- wait...he?" Thalia stepped closer to the bed, James giving an almighty cheer as his and Sirius' plans all fell into place for this soon-to-be troublemaker. Eloise nodded and her brunette friend screamed, tippy-toe running on the spot in excitement.

Remus, Peter, Mr and Mrs Potter had edged into the room behind the kerfuffle that was James and Thalia, each of them stepping forward and cooing over the baby boy who was the perfect blend of his two parents, raven curls draped over his porcelain forehead, with hazel eyes to match.

"He's going to be a right little heartbreaker." Hummed Remus fondly, earning a glare from not one, but both of his parents.

"My son will not be a heartbreaker. He will treat women with -"

"Contempt. My Son will not date, and he will show no interest in girls until he at least has his OWL's, NEWT's and maybe even-" A glare which could smelt a cauldron cut the newly titled father's monologue short.

"As I was saying," The owner of the glare resumed, "My son will not treat women with contempt, only respect. He will be a perfect gentleman. Isn't that right, Sirius?" The man gulped in response.

"I do suppose I got a little carried away there. Yes, of course he will, love!" He nodded his head rapidly, raven waves bouncing up and down. Remus backed away slightly from the hormonal parents, his hands up in surrender and his face betraying any attempt to deny he didn't think they were insane.

"Our son, Alfie Sirius Black is-"

"-Sadly going to be the cause of some bad news for you, Miss Potter." Albus Dumbledore swept into the room, his face grave. He offered her a half smile, "Congratulations nonetheless," which Eloise returned with a grumble of,

"Always bloody being interrupted on my special day!"

"Miss Potter, Mr Black, if I could have some privacy with the two of you please." The wiserned man requested, ignoring James' shout of protest and Thalia's whimper to follow.

"Prongs, Pup, as Godparents, you stay." Sirius deadpanned, meeting Dumbledore's eye with a ferocity which the man had not shown since the mother of his child was threatened by Abraxas Malfoy. Knowing he was without right to deny this, the headmaster sighed and waited for the room to clear.

"Very well. Miss Potter, Mr Black. I have heard a prophecy including both Voldemort and a child born on the tenth month to parents who have defied him thrice. Thus, your child, I believe, is perhaps the one who the Dark Lord may primarily wish to pursue."

"Being as evasive as always, Sir," James rolled his eyes slightly, beginning to pull his ash hair between his fingers as he started to make real sense of the new information. "So what...you're saying that Voldemort's after...my Godson?"

"I'm afraid you are correct, Mr Potter."

"What the fuck are you doing about it then?" Sirius spat suddenly. "Why are you here, and not putting measures in place to protect our son at all costs you-"

"Pads," Eloise laid a hand on the ashen man's arm comfortingly, cutting him short before he said anything he may later regret.

"Please try not to worry yourself too much, we have a safe house set up awaiting the fidelius charm as soon as you're both ready to pick a secret keeper. The same is in place for you, Miss Scamander and Mr Potter. We believe the Death Eaters may target you both in order to reach Miss Potter and Mr Black." Thalia's eyes widened in response, as Dumbledore continued. "I assume Mr Black will opt for Mr Potter and vice versa?"

"No." The former growled, as the latter's face filled with hurt. "It's too obvious." He continued, easing the look of betrayal from his best friend's features. "I'll go with Wormtail. It's less likely to be guessed."

"I'll pick Moony, then." James stated resolvedly, his mouth set into a hard line, as Sirius' filled with worry. Ignoring him the man turned to his old headmaster. "If that's all, Sir, we'd like to celebrate the last of my Nephew's birthday before our lives go to shit."

"Of course." He replied before inclining his head at them all and sweeping out of the room.

"Prongs!" Sirius immediately began to plead, "We have no idea who we can trust right now"

"Pads. Remus is our friend. If we can't even trust those closest to us, then Voldemort really has won." He gazed at his best friend with sad eyes. Both men turned their heads to the corner as a sob tore through the stale room. Thalia had wrapped her arm around both Eloise and Alfie, all of which had been silent during the remainder of the exchange, until now. The blonde's eyes were brimming with tears and she had a hand pressed to her lips as if to try and force the escaped noise of anguish back to where it came from, as the brunette rubbed circles on her back soothingly.

"Sirius, we have to protect our son." His girlfriend choked out, clutching the sleeping Alfie tightly to her chest.

"I know, love, I know." He crossed the room in one swift motion, and she fell into his embrace. Standing up from her perch on the bed, Thalia also dove headfirst into her boyfriend's chest, welcoming the arms that wrapped around her waist protectively as she allowed her tears to fall. For her best friends. For their baby. For her godchild. For the love of her life. For herself. For her chance to live a life without war.

"Happy Birthday, Alfie." She mumbled into the damp fabric of James' shirt, sniffling, as he squeezed her tighter. "Many happy fucking returns."

only two chapters left!!