THIRTY-EIGHT

tell me that's not a perfect specimen

The Marauder's dormitory was silent apart from the odd snore or mumble emitted from one of the individuals mouths

The Marauder's dormitory was silent apart from the odd snore or mumble emitted from one of the individuals mouths. Eloise Potter was not curled up in her boyfriend's arms as per usual, much to his sleeping dismay, but instead was cuddling her larger counterpart in his bed. As it was the twins' birthday eve the previous night, Eloise and Thalia had decided they wanted a girly sleepover, and sodded off to their own dorm giggling, however were pestered by two whining boys who desperately wanted to join in with face masks and manicures. So they did. Bundling the girls on their backs, Sirius and James sprinted to their own dorm, got into their fluffiest pyjamas, shortly joined by Peter and Remus, who decided they also rather liked a life of pampering and luxury, the fabulous messrs they were, and the six of them spent the night becoming glowing queens. As was tradition, the twins decided they needed to sleep together so they could wake up together, leaving Thalia and Sirius cuddling innocently (as good as their friendship was, Thalia missed James' cuddles and Sirius Eloise's. Somehow friendship did not make up for romance - I wonder why?)

A tinkling laugh filled the dormitory as Thalia sat up, her chocolate waves framing her face. She had looked over at Remus, who was still wearing his charcoal mask and looked like a dragon had shat fire on his face and breathed on it. Slipping out of bed, she retrieved a wet flannel from the bathroom and began to wipe the black crust off the poor boy, who smiled sleepily as the freshness washed over his cheeks and forehead. The second she had finished however, the tranquil was broken as the small brunette launched herself onto the twins' bed with a scream of

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU STUPID FUCKING COWS!" Through the tangle of limbs, sharp elbows and hair came a:

"Actually I'm a stag thanks. They're waaaaay less gassy than cows, but actually could blow you away with one fart. Pretty incredible right? Right?! RIGHT YOU GUYS, ISN'T THAT RIGHT?!?!"

"Yes, James, and thank you for that lovely start to my Seventeenth Birthday." His twin replied, whacking him on the arm, leaning across Thalia who had slithered in between them but immediately wrapping her arms around her friend in a cuddle after suitably bashing her brother.

"Happy birthday, Elle. You're not really a stupid fucking cow." Thalia whispered and Eloise smiled as she squeezed her best friend even tighter.

"Thanks, Tally."

"At least not as much as James."

Speaking of, James was watching the girls hug with a scowl because, despite it being his birthday too, he wasn't being included or, god forbid, being paid enough attention to.

"PADFOOT!" he bellowed and soon enough something hidden underneath the covers on Sirius' bed sat up straight.

"What the fuck do you want, you insufferable forghorn?" Sirius groaned tiredly, his voice muffled due to his face being smushed by his duvet.

"IT'S MY BIRTHDAY WHERE IS MY APPRECIATION AND RESPECT AND, MOST OF ALL, LOVE?!" James pouted and crossed his arms as Thalia and Eloise giggled into their hug. A loud moan of annoyance was heard and soon enough the red and gold quilt was whipped off of Sirius' head and the boy himself made his way over to James' bed. James smiled smugly but it soon slid off of his face when Sirius flopped on top of Eloise and Thalia, encasing them in his arms, making it a group hug and succeeding in not including James once more.

Flouncing out of bed James stomped to the bathroom, slamming the door and slumping to the floor in irritation. Thalia sauntered up to the wooden door, which James was pressed against

"Jamsie!" Thalia cooed through a crack, "Don't you want your present?"

"Present?" He repeated, throwing open the door, and a smile blessing his features. Running to Thalila like a small child, he picked her up and thrust her onto his bed before opening and closing his hands with a cry of "Gimmie gimmie gimmie!"

"A man after midnight" Remus muttered, smirking to himself.

"ABBA!" Eloise shrieked, causing the scarred boy to grin as he threw her his present which undeniably was an ABBA record for Eloise's love of muggle music. It was all quite convenient really. Before James could scowl once more, Thalia handed him the glasses which she had bought in Zonko's, her heart warming with his ecstatic scream as he put them on and yelled

"FIND ME A SNIVELLUS!"

"Humour him, it's his birthday after all." Remus muttered Thalia's look of protest seeing as the boy seemed not to care that he had other presents to open.

****

Two couples wandered down the streets of Hogsmeade as the Sun slowly began to set below the rolling hills of Scotland. A blushing girl with lavender hair had her arm around a raven haired boy's waist whilst his rested around her shoulders and a small brunette had her fingers intertwined with a bespectacled boy, all of them grinning. James and Eloise were practically skipping as Thalia and Sirius had planned - separate - surprises for them, to get away from everything and just be with one another on their birthdays. Thalia and Sirius were contemplating going somewhere as a quartet but Sirius didn't want his balls to be chopped off for kissing his girlfriend so they made an executive decision to split off into their respective couples. After a few minutes of walking, Sirius smiled at Thalia and led Eloise down a footpath towards a clearing in the Forbidden Forest whilst Thalia and James carried on over the hill, reaching the top where she had laid out a red blanket and a picnic basket practically bursting with food.

James 'awhed' at the cute scene and rushed to sit down, cross-legged, on the blanket and clapping his hands quietly when Thalia began to lay out all of the deliciously prepared food. They just sat there for the evening, leaning on one another and letting the only sound to fill the valley be their soft laughs.

"Thank you for this." James said to her as they lay on the grass, his arm around her and her head resting on his chest, their fingers intertwined. "This was nice."

"You're welcome, my love." she said softly, not realising what she had called him until she felt him move to look at her,

"My love?" he asked and she blushed slightly, "I like the sound of that." he mused and she smiled,

"Me too." she told him and he leant down and kissed her head before looking at her rather intently,

"Be my girlfriend."

"Did you just tell me-"

"Thalia Scamander," James maneuvered her so he was kneeling beside her,

"Oh, shit you're serious?" Thalia's eyes widened,

"I'm James." he whispered with a smirk before taking her hands in his, "And I would love it if you would be my girlfriend." he gave her a hopeful smile and butterflies flew around in Thalia's stomach,

"Really?" she asked breathlessly and James nodded,

"Really." he assured her and Thalia's face spread into a breathtaking grin before she moved forward, placing her hands on James' jaw and did something she had wanted to do since she got there...she snogged him.