TWENTY-NINE

Happy to be granted with a fresh start, Thalia Scamander started 1977 with a brand new headspace: she was completely and utterly over James Potter

Happy to be granted with a fresh start, Thalia Scamander started 1977 with a brand new headspace: she was completely and utterly over James Potter. Not that she was ever under him (literally and figuratively) but she definitely did not harbour feelings for him anymore. To prove this, when she heard about the rumour going around that Fabian Prewett was interested in her, she jumped on it like a car bonnet, especially after she saw James-the-cheap-bastard-Potter flirting with none other than Lily Evans. Channeling all of her confidence, she decided to approach the ginger-haired boy. He was easy to find as she just followed the faint smell of gunpowder and found him, accompanied by his twin Gideon, trying to attach an invisible firework to Filch's broom.

"Alright, Fabian?" Thalia leant against the wall and plastered a smirk on her freshly-glossed lips. Two heads of orange hair whipped up to face her, one wearing an evil grin and the other sporting flushing cheeks.

"Y-yeah, Thalia. You?" Fabian tried to lean against the broom he was attempting to add a Filibuster's to, but it gave way and he stumbled slightly. Thalia laughed softly and tilted her head as Fabian straightened his robes and cleared his throat.

"Yeah, I'm good. I was just wondering if you wanted to head to Hogsemeade with me this weekend?" she observed her nails and flicked her eyes up for a moment to gage his reaction, which of course was exchanging a triumphant smile with his twin and flushing a scarlet that would be sure to run in his bloodline.

"Sure thing," he grinned at her, "I'll pick you -"

"-up at eleven" The pair spoke simultaneously, Fabian rubbing the back of his neck and suppressing a smile, whilst Thalia let out a tinkling laugh. "I can tell we're going to get on very well." She tossed her hair and started to walk away, when a shock of black hair approaching caught her eye. Without much thought, or hesitation, she swivelled on her toe, reached onto her tiptoes and planted a gentle kiss on the ginger boy's cheek, before dancing off with a wave.

"See you gorgeous!" He called after her, before the girl blew a kiss and waved, now from the other end of the corridor. Thalia soon heard a thump echoing around the corner, but upon investigation, saw nothing, shrugged and headed to the common room, oblivious to the bespectacled boy slumped near her feet under his invisibility cloak, nursing a bloody fist and aggressively wiping a stray tear.

****

After a series of frosty meals between the Marauders, wholly because of two individuals (those being Thalia and James) Saturday arrived. The brunette had an inkling that it was her fault, as she had kissed Fabian on purpose as she saw James coming, but he had disappeared without a trace so she wasn't going to jump to conclusions. She had tried to talk to the boy on numerous occasions, thanking him for her Christmas present, or just general conversation, however every time she either received an indecipherable grunt, or a chilly glare and a bout of silence. It was a hard to swallow pill, but Thalia was slowly realising she was in the wrong, and maybe shouldn't be trying to get back at James for breaking her heart, crushing her hope and bruising her ego. Nevertheless she went on a date with Fabian Prewett.

****

A pair of teenagers walked into the Three Broomsticks, adorned in Gryffindor scarves and thick black cloaks. They stamped snow off their boots before removing their garments and sliding into a booth. The boy ran a hand through his hair and shook his head, before looking around and grimacing at two other teens holding hands and laughing merrily. The girl, who was sporting pink hair in french braids laid a hand on his arm and smiled sadly in their direction before returning her identical gaze to the boy.

"We can't leave now," she spoke softly, "It will make it obvious you care." His eyes filled with hurt as the two in the corner brushed noses, both of their mouths turned up in crescent shapes. He turned away aggressively, his hazel eyes lighting up when a red-haired girl and two boys, one tall and scarred, the other with shaggy black hair all entered the pub, hailing the pair seated in the booth.

"Hello my wonderfully beautiful, stunningly gorgeous girlfriend!" Sirius purred in Eloise's ear. She grinned,

"What have you done?" she narrowed her hazel orbs and bopped him on the nose playfully. He gasped and put a hand on his heart.

"Oh me! Why do you assume I have done anything? I am quite innocent!" Eloise snorted,

"Oh yes and Walburga Black wears a magenta bikini to her weekly zumba lessons taught by my mother." All four of them broke into peals of laughter which bounced around the pub.

Thalia, whilst enjoying her date with Fabian, was enjoying it much more before three Marauders and Lily Evans entered the pub. Glancing wistfully at her friends every now and then, she wished was with them, joining in the laughter, and wished everything was back to normal between her and James.

"Go then." A subdued voice snapped her out of her reverie. She jumped slightly.

"W-what?"

"You clearly would rather be with your friends and that's okay. So go."

"Fabian, no. I won't ditch you for my friends."

"Look Thalia, if you would rather be with your friends than your date, maybe we're just not right for each other."

"I just have a lot on my mind." She confessed, casting her eyes downwards.

"I can tell." He smiled softly, kissed her on the cheek and wrapped his scarf around his neck, before ducking out of the door. Her friends turned to look at her, realising her date's abrupt departure.

"Everything okay Pup?" Remus called across the room, motioning for her to come and sit with them, which she started to do, stopping in her tracks at the stony glares she was receiving from Eloise, Sirius and Lily. She gulped and fiddled with a strand of hair nervously, not at all her usual confident self.

"Y-y'know what Moony, I might just head back to the castle - got work to do and that." the small girl mumbled, shuffling her feet before half-running out of the pub.

"Was that really necessary?" Remus addressed the group, staring daggers at each of them in turn when they dared to meet his eye.

"She's hurting my brother."

"She's hurting our brother." Sirius corrected his girlfriend. Prongs is all of our brother, and as Marauders, it's our duty to stand by him." The scarred boy scowled.

"And Thalia isn't a Marauder? She isn't our sister? Just because she is trying to deal with her feelings in a certain way, doesn't mean we should all give her shit for it. Not to mention that James is doing the exact same thing with Lily." The sandy haired boy returned to his butterbeer without another word. Eloise raised a hand to her mouth as she realised her mistake, Sirius bit his lip guiltily and Lily just shrugged, not changing her mind but there was only one thing going through James' head.

'What feelings?'

yo so the next few chapters have been heavily edited bc i didn't like what happened in them and neither did the fucking comments holy shit

i got hundreds and hundreds of angry comments bc i went about the argument all wrong but ive fixed it and hopefully it's better?? 

sorry :(