Four

Calum's POV

"This looks so sick." Sam grins, twisting his arm to see the tattoo now on the under side of his forearm, just below his elbow.

"I like that you finally have it. I've had mine for years, just waiting until the day you got yours to match." Maddie is smiling, but I can tell it's not as genuine as she is trying to play up.

"What a day to get it too." I chuckle humorlessly, leaned between the seats to keep a hold of Maddie's arm as she drives us back towards Grams and Gramps. She has been exceptionally clingy since the news story at the diner, staying at my side, always holding onto my arm or hand, and laying against my shoulder while Sammy got his tattoo.

She's terrified, and it breaking my heart to see her this way. I'm sure no one else in the world could make her this scared, and I can only be so thankful that I am the one who she is trusting to hold her up through whatever storm we are about to enter. At least I know I will not be letting her down, I will not be leaving her side. Exceptionally thankful to my band mates for getting married and having a baby so I can also be at home for the next few months.

"What is Grams doing?" Sam frowns as we pull into the driveway, Grams face looking very troubled as she stares at the stack of mail in her hand. Her left foot is raised onto the porch step but she is frozen in place.

"Grams? What is it?" I ask as I step out of the car, holding Maddie's door open for her.

"Letters." Grams turns, her eyes laced with more fear and hurt than any old lady should ever see.

"From Chris?" Sam frowns, hurrying to take the stack from his grandmother and guide her safely into the house.

"Yes." I hear her say, sending icy chills through my body. "One for Sam, and one for Maddie." 

"Why would he... why would he send these?" Maddie asks, taking the letter with her name on it when Sam holds it out shakily.

"My guess is it has something to do with why he was on the news at lunch too. And we better figure out what it is." I swallow my fear as best I can, guiding both Sam and Maddie to the couch as they stare at the letters in their hands.

"Read, read yours first and then I'll read mine, I guess." Maddie stumbles over her words as she nods to Sammy. I make sure to keep an arm around each of them as Grams and Gramps sit nervously across from the three of us on the loveseat.

"Okay." Sam clears his throat as he tears open the letter addressed to him.

"Samuel, I'm sure you are far from excited to be recieving this letter, but following your 18th birthday this week it is no longer illegal for me to send it. And there are things I need to get off my chest.

First, I want to tell you how remorseful I am for the entire duration of your life. I am sorry you never knew safety and love within our home. And I am sorry that was my fault. I am an addict and I was too stubborn to admit it, letting alcohol take over my life and ruin my family. I'm sure you can't believe it but it's true. I hurt all of you and I could have prevented it, if I'd just admitted I needed help. I truly did love your mother at first, I thought she would help save me, but instead I destroyed her...
Second, and I'm hoping Madison gets this news before it breaks as well. I have been approved a retrial, my lawyers have got me scheduled for court dates starting the second week of September. The retrial stands on the grounds that I was not in a right state of mind and that with treatment and my good behavior over the last nine years, I may be able to enter society again as a sober citizen, able to live without causing harm to others.
With this new round of court dates and trial, I would like to extend an invite for you and Madison to come out to visit with me and make amends, so I do not have to stay away from you once I am free. I would like to take this as an opportunity to restart, to be the father I never was to either of you.
Sending this with hope in my heart and remorse in my veins.
Dad."