Eighteen

Maddie's POV

"Fuck! It's my favorite people!" Sam yells, throwing his arms around me as Calum and I stand outside the hotel room door he just swung open.

"Hi, baby brother. I've missed you like crazy too." I laugh, hugging him back for a long moment.

"Oi, share. I missed him too." Calum chuckles, shoving my arm playfully.

"My brother." I hiss softly, glaring at Calum as I tighten my hug around Sammy.

"Fine." Cal rolls his eyes, throwing his arms around both of us and squeezing.

"I'd appreciate if you didn't break me, Cal. I sort of have a big game tomorrow. You know, state championship and all." Sam laughs as all three of us take a small step back.

"I can't believe you're going to state." I sigh, "I'm so proud."

"Come on in, guys. Tanner went to play video games down the hall with some of the others." Sam waves off my comment, inviting us into his room.

"Games at three tomorrow, right?" Calum asks as he drops into the desk chair.

"Ya. You guys will be there?"

"Of course. Lawyer meetings at ten, and football at three. You got permission to leave with us tomorrow night though?" I ask quickly, having never got confirmation on that.

"Like hell I'll be anywhere else. If you have to sit in that court room when Chris comes in on Thursday, I'll be holding one hand while Calum holds the other. This is my fight too, Mads. Just because the lawyer is in LA with you guys doesn't mean my name isn't right beside yours on the documents. We are bringing our case to the judge. You aren't doing it alone."

"Good. I want you to stand next to, Mads, both of you looking him in the eye and showing him he isn't as powerful as he seems to think. You two need to show him he doesn't control you, that he doesn't scare you, that he isn't causing all the fear he is. Strong face in the moment, fall apart later." Calum nods.

"Easier said than done." I sigh, my mind suddenly occupied with the daunting task laid out ahead of me in court.

"I know, but I'll be by your side through it all." Calum smiles, leaning forward to squeeze my hand tightly.

"Do we know who this other case is coming from yet?" Sam changes the subject, falling back on one of the beds.

"No. We will hopefully meet them tomorrow when we meet with Howard and Andrea. Mads has a theory though." Calum chuckles, eying me as an amused tone falls from his lips.

"Oh ya?"

"I think it's my dad's family. His sisters." I shrug.

"Why?" Sam looks completely surprised by my comment.

"Why else would I get all my dads things now? Why did the letter say they would see me soon? Why did it mention a second box they regret not opening until now. Mom sent them something and it's going to help us." I state matter of fact.

"Or... you're being hopeful. If anyone had anything huge on him they'd have used it before mom died. My theory is he hurt someone else before he hurt us, and their case is going to be similar to ours. But without the death. They somehow got away from him alive." Sam frowns.

"I'm with Sam, I think you're being too optimistic, Mads. A move like that, it would win for us no doubt, but I agree it's too far fetch. I wish it was what is coming. But I doubt it." Calum sighs.

"I'm gonna stay optimistic until I know it isn't." I announce stubbornly, sitting down beside Sam.

"So, Sammy boy." Calum changes the subject as the silence almost gets awkward. "Any more offers from big schools?"