Eight

Calum's POV

"Good morning, guys, my name is Howard, and I am ready to fight this battle along side you."

"Enthusiastic, I like that." I smile, already feeling a great energy from the lawyer sat in front of us, "Because this has potential to be a very large and hard fight."

"Nate forwarded me all the information you had given him, and I have to agree. It might get ugly, but this man deserves to stay in prison and I am determined to make that happen."

"I appreciate that. It would be detrimental to myself and my family, but also to whoever else he finds and hurts if he gets out. He seems to have his team convinced he can live a sober life outside prison, but he can't. I've lived in the same house as him. If he ever has a drop, or even smells alcohol, anything, he will go psychotic to get it. And he will not stop drinking once he starts, and he will hurt people. He is not human when he is drunk, he does not feel any emotion except anger. I could not live with myself if he went free and hurt anyone else the way he hurt my family." Maddie adds.

"And we don't want him to. I will be flying to Seattle for every court date up until I get all our information to a friend in the area who will be working along side us there. She will also attend all of the court dates. I do not want either of you, your brother, or grandparents attending anything or responding to anything until we bring our case forward to prosecution. We don't want him getting the satisfaction of knowing you are being affected by this. That fuels his sick desire to still have a hold on you guys and your lives." Maddie's releases a shaky breath as he speaks, something like a twinge of relief showing in her face. "That being said, don't worry about us keeping you in the loop. After every court date we will be in discussion in office or over the phone going over what happened and what it means. Any and all letters your family receives have them forward directly to me. I am going to see if I can stop by the prison while I am up there and have them rerouted to me if they are sent from him to either of you. But if I can't, let them know to send them here. Any and all letters he sends will benefit our team as we try to corner his motives. The more letters we have, the more we have to analyze to find holes and patterns in them."

"Done. You can have them all, Sam and I don't want them." Maddie almost laughs.

"We may also need statements from both you and Samuel along with anyone else you feel would benefit the case. In those cases I would need them to come her to my office to give the statements and we may ask any of you to testify at the trial if needed. Is that okay with you?"

"Whatever we have to do to keep him where he is." Maddie nods, "I'm terrified to see his face again, especially in person. But I won't let him know that if I end up in front of him."

"Could I give a statement? Having lived through her surgery with her, a consequence of an attack he inflicted on her. Or could the doctors that did her surgery give a documented statement of the event if we could get in touch with them?" I ask, wanting to help as much as I can.

"Absolutely. We will need as many people as we can get to give statements. So long as they have dealt with the situation in some way, during or after effects of it. Samuel and Madison will be our most vital pieces but every statement can help form the picture and story that will keep him locked up."

"Anything else?" I nod.

"Not right now. It's going to be hard, and it's going to be long. But I want you both to know that I am going to fight tooth and nail for this."

"And we appreciate that so much." I assure, gripping tightly to Maddie's hand on my knee.

"Thank you." Maddie adds softly.