Thirty-Three

Maddie's POV

"Look at me, Mads!" Calum grins, swinging himself gently forward on the crutches he just recieved.

"Moving all on your own. What a big accomplishment." I tease, staying close as he gets used to walking somewhat on his leg again.

"Hey, I haven't walked in almost six weeks. It's a big deal." Cal pouts, resting against his elbows on the crutches. Due to his still healing wrist they had to order him a pair of special crutches that wrap around his biceps and let his weight rest against his upper forearms and elbows instead of his wrists.

"I know, and I am proud of you, Cal. So, so, proud. That's why I'm taking you to lunch."

"I get a lunch date with my girl!?" Calum grins.

"Of course. Now sit right here on this bench, I'll pick you up. I'm gonna get the car." I laugh.

"Hell no. I'm am a mobile man now! I'm walking it. It feels so good to walk again, Mads."

"Alright mobile man." I roll my eyes, "What do you want to do since you have this freedom again?"

"I want to take you home and love you, Mads." Calum deadpans, a small something growing in his eyes as he looks at me.

"Cal..."

"Maddie, no! Please. It's been six months since I got to, I need you, baby." Calum whines. "Do you not want me like that anymore or something?"

"Cal, you know that's not what it is. You know I do." I frown, "I'm scared I'll hurt you."

"We'll be careful, and ya, it will be a lot of you doing the work, but, Mads, I need you today. It's been too long, please."

"I'm taking you to lunch first still." I sigh, nodding my head. As afraid as I am of hurting him, I can't ignore my own need for him. If he's willing to try, they who am I to deny him. He's the one who might be in pain from it.

"Thank you, Mads. We need this. It's going to be fine, I'll be fine, I promise." Calum smiles, crutching over until he's right in front of me, leaning in to kiss me softly.

"You promise you'll tell me if it is uncomfortable to any part of your body at any point, so we can stop." I ask as we resume our slow walk to the car.

"I promise, baby, but it's not going to hurt me, so it will be fine." Calum chuckles, maneuvering through the open door I hold for him. Tossing his crutches across the backseat I close Calum into the car hurrying around to climb behind the wheel.

"So where are we going for lunch?" Calum smiles, moving his hand to rest on my thigh as I drive us away from the hospital.

"I was thinking the diner, a nice summer lunch on the patio. Easy, and then we can head home."

"Sounds good to me." Calum nods, giving my upper thigh a flirty little squeeze. Both of us fall into a comfortable silence as we sit in traffic heading back towards Studio City and our favorite diner. The silence interrupted by my phone ringing through the car interrupting the music playing.

"Hello." I answer, hitting the button on the steering wheel to accept the call.

"Madison, it's been a few weeks, but we finally have updates on Chris' health." Howard's voice rings through the car.

"What's the plan then?" Calum asks quickly.

"Chris has been in a coma since the car wreck, and succumbed to his injuries sometime yesterday. The damage he did to his body over the years was too much and he contracted some sort of infection. So there is no plan really. We do need you and Sam to decide what they should do with the body, seeing as Sam is his only known living relative."