Twenty-Two

Calum's POV

"Hey thanks for coming." Michael grins, pulling me into a tight hug as I step through the doorway into the Clifford home.

"Gotta meet my niece." I nod, mentally preparing myself for the looks I'm going to get when I enter the living room. Everyone else's cars are parked out front already, not that I'm surprised that I showed up last. After Maddie left my arms two hours and twenty-three minutes ago I had texted Ash that I would drive myself over to meet Arabella and then I'd crumbled to the floor. I sat in a ball against the closed front door crying for a solid hour or more. I let Maddie walk out of my life, and even if it is just for show, and temporary, being away from her for the indefinite future fucking hurts.

"Come on, everyone is in here." Mike gives me a pity smile as he guides me by the shoulder into the living room.

"Cal, you made it. Thanks for coming." Crystal looks so unlike her usual self. Her hair is messy and pulled up in a ratty bun, no makeup on, and Michael's giant hoodie and sweats adorning her. But even more strange is to see is the sleeping baby lying in her arms.

"Gotta meet my niece." I repeat quietly, offering a soft smile, "Um, we... I mean, I? got her this little stuffed animal." I offer the small pink unicorn over awkwardly.

"Thank you. She will love it." Crystal nods, taking the plush toy and setting in beside her.

I carefully step to the side, dropping onto the couch beside Sierra, closing my eyes tightly as the thought of Maddie crosses my mind. That gift is from both of us, but no one can know that. It fucking sucks to be lying to my best friends.

"How are you holding up, Cal?" Sierra frowns, rubbing my arm softly.

"I'm not." I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose as my eyes start to burn, "I'm not." I repeat as my voice cracks slightly.

"I um, I tried to text her just a bit ago, to see how she is, and if she wanted to come meet Bella at some point," Crystal starts hesitantly, "I got a reply that her number had been disconnected..."

"Her number too? Her socials already are." KayKay frowns.

"Her fucking stepdad walked out of prison last night, she probably ran for her life." I mumble angrily, don't they understand how fucking terrifying that sentence is.

"Did she stop by to get her things at all?" Sierra asks softly.

"The lawyer arranged for them to be taken to wherever she is." I sigh, trying to remember my anger is not with them and I shouldn't take it out on them either, "I don't have any idea where that is either, so don't ask."

"What happened, Cal? I swear a week ago she was planning out wedding and babies and growing old with you... What changed?" Luke frowns.

"Wednesday," I swallow hard, "Fuck it feels like years ago. We met with our lawyers in Seattle and they told us the state was going to release Chris and there was no way to prevent it this time, maybe at the next court date, but he would be out for a bit. Maddie switched on a dime after that. As soon as they said it she turned cold, she flinched every time I tried to touch her, or comfort her. She blew up as soon as we got back to the hotel. Told me to get out, told me she couldn't do us and fight him. Told me I couldn't pick her because she couldn't live with me being hurt somehow. She lost it, screaming and crying and throwing things at me. So I listened. If it will ease some of her fears to think I am no longer in danger, then I'll do it. I'd do anything for her. But fuck, I'm so lost now. She was it for me. If she doesn't come back... I'm done."

"She has to come back, you are everything to her, and I cannot imagine her living without you, or you without her. She's scared, but she has to come back." Ashton sighs, moving to pull me into a tight hug. His eyes laced with concern and empathy for me and my situation.