Twenty-Five

Maddie's POV

"We have to stop for gas on the way back. Is that okay?" Claire asks, glancing over to me as we drive back from dropping Alli and El off at the airport.

"Ya. Man, I didn't think I'd miss your girls so much after just a couple weeks." I laugh.

"I'm glad you three bonded. El is excited for when you get back to LA, so she can get to know you even better."

"I'm excited to get back to LA too. For a lot of reasons, but that might be a new one of them." I smile.

Ever since Calum had tweeted me indirectly on Christmas I have felt a new sense of hope for the future and making it through everything. Even the fans freaking out about the three letters, assuming them to be someone's initials, couldn't break my mood. I knew exactly what those letters meant and that they were intended for me. By some miracle he had gotten my gift on Christmas and found a way to give me a response the best way he knew how.

"I'm going to run inside and get a soda, do you want one?" Claire asks as she parks at the pump.

"A coke please." I nod.

"I'll be back." Claire smiles, sliding out of the car.

I lay my head back against the seat as I'm left alone, trying to focus on what is coming in a few short days. Knowing I may be standing in front of Chris telling the judge exactly what happened the night I got my scar. Trying to remind myself that he can't hurt me in that room, that telling my story will benefit me and so many other people too. But I still can't help but think it might hurt me before it helps.

The politics of law and high profile of the case scares me. I know how desperate the state is to use him as a good example, and although I do believe there are people who could benefit from a program that would help addicts stay sober and fix their lives. I know Chris, and he is not the right candidate for this program. He will abuse his freedom and hurt people, and by people I know it will be someone I love if at all possible.

I jump slightly as the gas hose clicks off, having been lost in my own head. Deciding to be helpful I step out of the car, removing the nozzle and replacing it with the cover. I freeze as I look up from the pump, locking eyes with bright hazel ones I recognizes. Eyes that seem frozen in shock as they take me in as well.

"Blonde is so not your color, Mads."

"Ash!" I fumble around the pump, throwing my arms around him, soaking in all of his hug and familiarity I can.

"Fuck, Maddie. What the hell? You just disappeared out of Washinton. No one had any idea where you went, if you were safe... Cal, fuck Cal's been a mess."

"I'm sorry. I swear I'm just trying to keep everyone safe." I ramble, not honestly believing he is here, "What the fuck are you doing in Pheonix?"

"KayKay and I went to visit her family in Texas for Christmas, decided to make a road trip of it. We're on our way back home to LA now."

"KayKay is here too?" I instantly pulls back, looking to the car for my best friend.

"You know how small her bladder is, she's in the bathroom." Ashton laughs.

"Is everyone mad at me?" I ask quickly, afraid I'll chicken out if I don't ask now.

"No. We all know you, Maddie, we all know you're trying to protect yourself, your family, us, everyone, we're just worried about you. And Calum is, well he's not doing well. I had to drag him to the airport to go to Sydney for Christmas. He really didn't want to go without you."

"You're taking care of him, right?" I sigh, I knew he wasn't doing well, but I could also imagine he was doing better than I was before Ashton said that.