Fourteen

Calum's POV

"Calum? Is everything okay? Is it Mads?" Sam answers my call slightly panicked.

"I mean yes, but we are surviving. Take a breath, Sammy." I sigh, "I have a question, and I'm hoping you or Grams or Gramps could get me an answer."

"Yes you can marry my sister, Cal." Sam chuckles.

"Not that question. Are you fucking kidding me, Samuel? When I ask you for that blessing I'm flying out to Spokane, or wherever you live, and doing it over a nice meal. Getting approval for the ring before I order it too." I laugh.

"I look forward to you asking me that question then. What can I help you with for now though?" Sam laughs too.

"Maddie always calms down playing her dad's music, but she doesn't share a lot of what he would listen to and play. I'm not even sure she remembers a ton of it consciously, but maybe it would spark something if she heard it. Would any of you know what music it was? Or any of you know who I could contact to find out? I know it was before you were born. But maybe Grams or Gramps or someone knows?"

"I can ask them. I think he has a sister, or two. I know when Maddie came back here the first time she was sort of confronted by one aunt. Claire I think was her name? But I'll ask Grams and Gramps or Angie might know too. I'll get back to you by tonight."

"Thanks Sam, I'm desperate for anything to put any light back into her eyes and heart. She's taking this so badly."

"I'll let you know as soon as I get any info. Everyone is worried about Maddie, so if it can help they'll spill."

"Thanks Sam. Remember you can call anytime you need to talk too."

"Expect a call tomorrow. I can pretty well compartmentalize it when I know we are safe. He's in prison at least until tomorrow, so tomorrow I will panic but today I'm okay. A little uneasy, but manageable. You keep my sister safe."

"I'm doing everything I can. I promise. Get me this info and it will help."

"Will do. Talk soon, Cal, I gotta get to class."

"Talk to you later. Bye." I sigh, hanging up the phone.

Listening for a moment I decide Maddie is still asleep, seeing as no noise is coming from upstairs. After a small argument I'd managed to get her to take some sleeping meds last night so we could both get some much needed rest. The pills seemed to work seeing as I was able to get a full eight hours of uninterrupted sleep, and Maddie is still out.

Deciding I might need to make up for the small argument I refused to back down on, I pull out eggs, veggies, and some meat. Sauteing the peppers and onion before adding the eggs and ham. Topping the scramble with cheese and tomatoes as I feel two delicate arms wrap around my waist.

"Go sit down, Mads, I made breakfast." I chuckle, pulling the toast from the toaster and buttering it quickly.

"Thanks for making me take those sleeping pills, Cal. I feel so much better after sleeping through the night for once." She kisses between my shoulder blades before releasing her hold, moving to the counter.

"What do you want to drink with your eggs, Mads?" I ask as I set two plates on the bar, one in front of her.

"Orange juice please." She smiles, and I can't help but smile back.

At least for today the skeletal version of Maddie seems to have disappeared somewhat. Her eyes are still full of worry, her skin still pale, but at least her smile is genuine no matter how small it is. I'm not naive enough to assume this version of Maddie will last, but right now I'll take any of her I can get.