Hold your own

Lucifer came home earlier than he usually did. It was about seven o'clock, the sun beginning to set over the horizon. It cast fiery glares into the car as he and Peirce followed Henry's car back to the house. An entourage of black SUVs following behind.

"I don't understand," Peirce pushed, her hands tight as she gripped the steering wheel. "In our years working together, you never mentioned them, you never even saw them for what- three years? And what are they to you exactly-"

"Peirce, I never have and never will have to explain myself to you," Lucifer replied, but his voice lacked the dominant power it usually had. He was horribly exhausted. He'd hardly slept in the last couple of days. 

It had gotten so bad that he had nearly passed out today when they had met with new representatives from the local police department. They worked together with the police to keep the area clean, and not to brag, but where Helgrim went, peace and prosperity followed. They had cleared the crime from the area almost entirely, and it was only spreading as Lucifer gained more and more control over the surrounding cities. 

"It's not just an explanation Lucifer, it's a new variable that will change how we work. Are they under our protection? Are they under your name, are they staying temporarily- these are reasonable things to ask. I need to know how I can protect you," Peirce went on and on, annoyed and flustered as she drove through the hills. 

Lucifer leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes and willing his head to stop spinning. "They're staying as long as they want to. They'll come and go as they please unless I say otherwise. They are under our protection and my name, but they won't need to be watched unless something happens that warrants a watch," he spoke clearly, but he had to clench his bandaged hands so they wouldn't shake.

The car was silent for a long time. Lucifer had almost nodded off before Peirce spoke up again. 

"What are they to you?" He dragged his eyes open and looked at her.  "You've never mentioned family."

"I..." he took a deep breath and pushed the pain to the back of his mind, "we've been together since we were kids. I grew up with them and promised them things. I plan to keep my promises."

Peirce tried to bite her tongue but she couldn't stop herself, "Are they really worth it Lucifer. I mean... a criminal consultant, a runway model, a soldier- it just seems like you have a lot more to offer in this situation. Are they really who you want representing you? I'm just... not going to watch you get taken advantage of."

Lucifer let out a long breath, finally understanding what this was all about. Peirce through, they were using him. For his money, his name, his power, she thought they were in this for the title and nothing more. But it wasn't like that. Lucifer wouldn't have anything if not for them.

That was just too hard to explain, and Lucy was too tired to tell Peirce off for talking about his family like that, so he simply said, "You'll see," and closed his eyes again for the rest of the drive. 

They stayed quiet after that but it wasn't long before they had arrived at the house, welcomed home by the surprising sight of Angel downing an entire bottle of vodka on the hood of one of the cars parked in the driveway. 

It looked like a music video. He was covered head to toe in glitter, even in his hair, and over his hooded silver-blue eyes. The setting sunset a warm glow on Angel's skin and shimmered off his right jeans and bejeweled boots. The only thing that took away from it was the smear of dark red lipstick that crisscrossed Angel's lips messily as he swayed the vodka bottle along his face, almost unconsciously so. 

"Dammit," Lucifer hissed as he slid out of the car and walked towards Angel. The other SUVs pulled up around and behind them and his crew members piled out, pretending not to watch in anticipation of what Lucifer would do next. Peirce crossed her arms and glared at her fearless leader. In the car behind them, Henry hopped out and snickered at the scene.