Do you hear the bones that crack?

Before Nya was Nya Bruce. Several Years before meeting the Helgrims...

Once upon a time, there was a girl whose destiny was already decided for her. 

Somewhere, out in the dead islands of the pacific ocean, run by a man no one has ever seen, there is a cruel cruel world of human trafficking and child labor. There was once a young girl who fell victim to both, and her destiny had aligned itself so that she would one day become a high-class escort. 

And when we say high class, we mean, high class. 

These are escorts trained by birth. These are children of war and torture who were forced into a life they never knew was abnormal, and those who didn't fall in line, would be struck down without a second thought. This life was unforgiving and unfaltering and filled with desolate madness. 

This was the world the young girl grew up in and it was monstrous. But for this child, it was home. 

"Mei," her mother calls from the tight confines of their shared apartment. All the women live together. All the women raise the young ones, teaching them how things are done, teaching them how to be docile and submissive and survive. 

A young girl, barely five years old, whips around the corner of the house, almost bumping into one of the other mothers who has hollow bones and empty eyes. 

Mei's mother isn't like that. Mei's mother has a fire inside her like no other. Mei's mother is the heart that they could not break. 

"My darling," the mother signs because she can not speak. None of the women can speak. They all are forced into a surgery when they are young. An operation that turns them silent and restless and mournful. 

The scars around their necks are a trademark. A sign that they are the upper class of cattle for the rich to take their pick.  

Mei's mother always taps the table four times when she wants to call for her daughter. Mei , at the sound of the call, always rushes into the warm embrace of perhaps the most beautiful woman in the world. Her mother is stunning. Despite the hollow checks, despite the murderous and terrifying gleam in her crystal blue eyes. 

She is like white lilies. She is like sunshine.

"Mama," Mei says verbally with a voice like the spring flute. She hasn't had her operation... yet. 

"Shh," her mother holds a finger to her lips, signing, "don't speak, please. You know the rules."

Mei scowls and looks away, unaware of how much trouble the women will get in if their masters learn the Mei is far smarter than the rest. Mei is far more developed. Her mind already whirling and turning at such a young age, and she's catching onto the fact that they do not live in a kind place... she's catching onto the bruises and broken bones that surround the women in her life, and an anger is slowly building inside. That anger is young but it will grow.

"What did you want," Mei signs, though she leans into her mother and lets warmth fill the older woman's bones. 

Mei's mother is so beautiful and so young. She's barely nineteen and she's already had a child before Mei... that child didn't make it but Mei will. Mei can do anything. 

The mother hesitates a moment. "Nothing," she signs with a bit of disappointment to her face. She smiles sadly, "I just wanted to see you."

Mei rolls her eyes. "Well, now you have," the little girl says, "and now I have to play."