~Prologue~

-July 31st, 1980-

Lily Potter smiled at her baby girl who lay sleeping peacefully in her arms. Sitting in the chair next to her, her husband was holding their newborn son, rocking and bouncing him carefully. She looked up from the precious baby in her arms as the door opened and both Sirius and Remus stepped through and into the room.

"Hey Padfoot, Moony. Where's Wormtail?" James said as his friends entered.

"He said he was visiting his mum. She's apparently sick again," Sirius said, watching the baby in James' arms as he replied.

"Do you want to hold them?" Lily asked, causing their attention to break away from the babies they had been watching so they could stare at her.

"You want us to hold them? Have you met me?" Sirius asked, sounding slightly stressed. James shook his head, standing up and moving over so he was next to Sirius. He passed his son over, showing Sirius how to hold him properly.

"Sirius, meet your godson, Harry James Potter."

"Remus, come over and hold your goddaughter," Lily called from the bed. Remus moved from where he was standing at the end of the bed, to sit in the chair that James had just vacated.

"You want to name me godfather?" Remus asked, shocked. Lily smiled.

"Of course. One of them has to have a sensible godfather," Lily said, gently passing her sleeping daughter over to the man sitting next to her. Remus looked down at the baby he was holding, still sound asleep. A smile appeared on his face as he watched the baby in his arms.

"Thank you," he said earnestly. "She's beautiful. What's her name?"

"Lexa Lily Potter," Lily replied softly, watching her daughter in Remus' arms. She eventually allowed her attention to leave her daughter, looking up and over at Harry who Sirius and James were cooing at, the baby still in Sirius' arms. Both men were wearing grins. Even if they were in the middle of a war, Lily couldn't be happier.

-Halloween, 1981-

Lily glanced over at James. He had just put his wand down after entertaining Harry by making multi-coloured bubbles sprout from the end of his wand. Harry was now asleep in his lap. They had been in hiding for almost a year now, and it was the second Halloween that the twins were celebrating. Lily looked down at Lexa, who was curled up asleep in her lap. Her daughter looked so graceful as she slept, flaming red hair falling gently around the top of her face. Lily smiled at her daughter, glad that her family was so happy at the moment. But even as happy as they all were, she couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen, and soon.

As that thought crossed her mind, she heard the squeak of the front gate. They had deliberately left it squeaky, so they could know whenever someone was approaching the house. But she was sure that they weren't expecting visitors. She looked over at James, who hadn't appeared to have heard the noise.

"We weren't expecting anyone, were we?" she asked. She was pretty sure they weren't, but Sirius, Remus, and Peter sometimes popped by without planning their visit, informing James that they were coming an hour or two before they did. She hoped that it was just one of them. She paled as James shook his head.

"Someone's here." James quickly handed Harry over to her, shooting up in his chair and running to the front hall, not even thinking to pick up his wand from where he had just set it on the table. With one baby in each arm, Lily ran up the stairs to the nursery. The nursery had an emergency portkey and was the only place that they could Apparate from in the house. She first tried the portkey, but it wouldn't activate. And when she tried to Apparate out, she found that she couldn't.