18

*Gobbledygook*

$Parseltongue$

{Alex's POV}

-November 4th, 1991-

Alex cast a disillusionment charm on themselves before stepping out of their room. They cast a quick silencing spell on themselves and moved silently across the common room. They had decided to apparate straight to the third floor, to prevent being found by any patrolling teachers. They were still keyed into the Hogwarts apparition wards; the only person alive who was. They twisted on their heel and the silencing spell was the only thing that stopped a loud crack from echoing around the empty common room.

They landed in a room, directly in front of the large Cerberus. The Cerberus was lying on the ground, all three heads looking around the room alertly. They waved their wand, making a soft melody sing around the room. It took a few minutes, but the Cerberus heads all eventually dropped, and the dog slipped to sleep. Alex moved over to the Cerberus, levitating its paw off the trap door that it was guarding. They slipped down the hole in the floor, landing in a large pile of Devils Snare.

They cast a quick Lumos, a bright ball of light appearing just above both of their hands and the vines that were wrapping themselves around them instantly shrunk back. They dropped to the floor, landing in a crouched position as the light faded away. They stood up and moved forward, into a room full of flying keys.

There was a broom in the middle of the room and Alex quickly realised that whoever had made this protection intended them to fly and catch the key. Instead of moving towards the broom, Alex simply raised their hand and waved it towards themselves, summoning the correct key straight into their hand. They pulled up a full shield around themselves and was encased in a bubble, preventing the keys, which were now flying straight at them, from harming them. Unlocking the door, they moved through to the next challenge.

Before Alex stood a large mountain troll. They didn't even think, instantly using the shadows to move to the other side of the room before the troll could spot them. At least someone knew what they were doing. This was the only challenge so far that would actually stop someone who was school aged.

The next room held a chessboard. Alex saw the pieces moving and interacting, guessing that they would have to play their way across the room. Instead of doing what was probably expected, they transformed into their snake form. They made themselves blend into the ground, to make it even harder for the chess pieces to stop them. They slithered across the room, unbothered by the chess pieces. Once they reached the door, they became human again, stepping easily through the door. Afterall, they were rubbish at chess.

As soon as they closed the door behind them, purple flames appeared across the doorway. The door on the other side of the room was instantly covered in black flames. Alex looked around the room, trying to work out what the test was. On a table in front of them, was a line of seven bottles. A piece of parchment was placed in front of the row of bottles as well. They stepped forward, reading what was written on the parchment.

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,

Two of us will help you, whichever you would find.

One among us seven will let you move ahead,

Another will transport the drinker back instead.

Two among our number hold only nettle wine,

Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line.

Choose, unless you wish to stay here forevermore.

To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four: