~4~

*Gobbledygook*

-August 1st, 988-

Alex blinked rapidly as the air and magic around them calmed down, trying to clear their vision from the blinding white that had enveloped them. Once their vision had cleared, they looked around the room they were in, finding that they were still in the time chamber, but that the runes around the room seemed new; there was much less magic pooling around each of the runes. They slowly moved away from the centre of the room and approached the door, pulling the heavy door open. They looked around the corridor that the room was at the end of, finding no goblin in sight and sighed; they knew they would get lost if they tried to navigate the corridors of Gringotts without a goblin guide, and a goblin had to come across this corridor at some stage. Plus, they had no clue what year they had travelled to, only a vague time period.

They closed the door and leant against it, absently playing with some of their magic, letting a small amount of it dance around their arms and hands and swirling through their fingers. It was something they had started doing a lot during the last six to eight months when they got bored; it helped them to work on their control of their magic and was something amusing to do. They especially liked watching as the colours of the magic changed as it moved; they sometimes focused purely on changing the colours, although they weren't sure what each colour meant or did yet, since they hadn't been able to find any information about seeing magic.

They were only waiting for less than ten minutes before a goblin appeared in the corridor. The goblin walked towards them without looking up. When the goblin did look up and spot them, the goblin hurried towards them.

"What are you doing here human?" the goblin demanded.

*Greetings, Noble Goblin. May your gold overflow. I was sent here, from the year 1988 through the time chamber as I was told that I am the Guardian of Magic, to learn from the five Founders and Protectors of Magic,* Alex said, bowing slightly in greeting. The goblin stopped and stared, before returning the greeting.

*Greetings, young one. May your gold never dry. You say you're the Guardian of Magic that Merlin told us about?*

*According to the inheritance test I took, I am one of Magic's Chosen, and apparently the first of Magic's Chosen since the Founders and Protectors of Magic. Nurrak, the Head of the Inheritance and Family department, was the one who told me what that meant,* they explained.

*Come, young one. I will take you to the head of the department to verify what you say. I am Meltar.*

*I go by Alex,* they said, following Meltar through the corridors. It wasn't long before they reached a door that looked like a newer version of the one at Nurrak's office, and they gathered that it was the office of the Head of the Inheritance and Family department. Meltar nocked on the door and the door swung open. The goblin sitting behind the desk looking up from the files on the desk.

*Yes, Meltar?*

*This is Alex, Faruk. I found them near the time chamber, and they claim that they are the Guardian of Magic and was sent back from 1988,* Meltar said. *They also speak our language and know our customs.* The goblin behind the desk turned to look at them and they bowed.

*Greetings, Master Goblin Faruk. May your gold overflow.*

*And may your gold never run dry, young one. You say you are the Guardian of Magic?*

*That is what I am told, yes.*

*You will take an inheritance test and we shall see. You may go Meltar,* Faruk said and Meltar left with a bow. Faruk withdrew the same potion that Alex had used earlier that day from somewhere behind the desk, placing it in front of them, a piece of parchment joining the pale silver potion on the desk, a small knife being placed next to it.