24

*Gobbledygook*

$Parseltongue$

-January 11th, 1992-

{Alex's POV}

Alex was going through the library in their personal chamber, looking for any book about Occlumency and Legilimency. They now regretted placing an anti-summoning charm on their bookshelf. It had been there to prevent the founders from taking their books, but now it made it really hard to find what they were looking for.

They finally found the two books they were looking for. Occlumency and How to Do It and Occlumency and Legilimency: A Guide. They grabbed both books, placing them in their bag, before heading out of their chambers, bag slung over their shoulder. They made their way to the Great Hall for breakfast. Before sitting at the Ravenclaw table, they headed over to the Gryffindors. They quickly located Hermione and Neville, sitting a little away from the other first years, closer to the group of third years.

"Hermione, Neville, I have something for you," they said. Hermione and Neville both jumped, not having realised that they were behind them.

"Alex, you can't just sneak up on us like that," Hermione said.

"Actually, you'll find I can. I just did, actually."

"Alex," Neville said, chuckling softly.

"Well, I wanted to give you this book. If you read it and master everything in it, I'll be able to safely tell you my secrets," they said. They pulled Occlumency and How to Do It out of their bag, handing it over to the excited Gryffindors. Hermione took it eagerly, placing it in her bag with her other books.

Just as Alex was about to turn away and head to the Ravenclaw table, their brother decided to intervene. Harry swaggered up to them, his right-hand man not far behind.

"Have secrets, do you? How pathetic, not trusting your friends enough to even tell them any secrets." Harry sneered and Alex made sure their emotionless mask was fully up.

"It doesn't concern you, Potter." They turned away, speaking to their friends again. "See you in class. And please don't lose the book, it was a gift from my favourite mentor." They strode away, heading to the Ravenclaw table to eat in peace. They actually felt sorry for Hermione and Neville, having to share a class with Harry.

They wished that they could change their last name so that they didn't have to associate with the Potter name, but none of the other names they could legally take would be very beneficial to have public. They reached the Ravenclaw table, sliding into a seat next to Padma.

"I really don't like Potter," they sighed, tucking into their breakfast. Padma and Terry nodded in agreement, as did the rest of their classmates.

"What did he do this time?" Michael asked.

"Butted into my personal business. I was giving Neville and Hermione a book to read on Occlumency, and he came over, making a big deal about me not trusting my friends enough to share secrets," they replied.

"You sure you're related to him?" Terry asked. Alex just nodded.

"I don't even understand why he thinks he's so special. I mean, people think he's this amazing saviour, the Boy-Who-Lived, but he hasn't actually done anything to make that even believable. He has hardly any talent or magical skills," Mandy said.

"Yeah, he's apparently last in every class he's in," Lisa chimed in. Alex just shook their head. Whoever said that the Boy -Who-Lived was the next Merlin obviously hadn't met him.

"Anyway, I have a book for you guys to read. Once you understand everything, I can begin teaching you Occlumency so that I feel comfortable sharing the secrets that I don't want the headmaster finding out," Alex said. They pulled the second book out of their bag, Occlumency and Legilimency: A Guide and handed it to Terry, who was closest.