22

*Gobbledygook*

$Parseltongue$

-January 3rd, 1992-

{Alex's POV}

Alex climbed into a compartment of the Hogwarts Express. They had had a marvellous holiday but were more than ready to get back to school. They sat down after enlarging the compartment to fit their whole group, knowing that their friends would find them. It wasn't long before the compartment was full of their friends and the train moving, taking them back to Hogwarts.

"So, how was everyone's break?" Alex asked. They were interested in how the others celebrated Yule or Christmas. But they also wanted to know if Neville would tell them about his parents. They didn't care if he did or not, they just wondered.

"Oh, it was fine. We just did what we normally did with our family in India," Padma said. "I wish I had of been able to catch up with you guys. But thank you for your gifts."

"It was no trouble. And I had a basic holiday. Mother has started seeing another man and I spent the holidays getting to know him. But the Malfoy Yule ball was fun." Blaise rolled his eyes as he mentioned the new man.

"That's your mother's, what, fifth boyfriend after having you?" Draco commented.

"He'll be my seventh stepfather; they were already talking about marriage." Blaise sighed. "I wonder how long he'll last."

"What are you talking about. Seventh stepfather?" Hermione gasped.

"You haven't heard about the Black Widow, I assume. She marries people, only for them to die in many different ways, leaving her with their fortunes. She had me with her third husband. I've had many stepfathers. One died of poison, another of heart failure. Most of them of unknown causes, or things I haven't been told about. But I know my mother kills them, even if there is no evidence," Blaise explained with a shrug.

"Well, on a happier note, my holidays were good. We didn't do anything big, just a small family gathering for Christmas on the 24th and Yule on the 26th. It's hard working with a muggle family and a wizard family," Terry said.

"I had a good time with my guardian. I got a few experiments done around everything else, along with sending the stone back to the Flamels. I had a good time at the Yule ball, but don't think I would go again if I didn't have to. Dressing up to make nice talk with many influential people isn't really my thing," Alex said.

"I agree with you there Alex. Dressing up and making nice talk isn't the best thing. I've had to do it since I could walk and talk properly. I wish I could get out of it, but since I'm being raised as a 'proper pureblood heir'." Draco sighed, leaning back against his seat.

Alex turned to Neville, watching as he stared at his hands in his lap. If the expression on his face was anything to go by, it seemed that he was battling with himself about telling them something.

"What about you Nev? Anything interesting?" they asked.

"Well, I got some new plants for my greenhouse," he said, not looking up from his hands. Hermione seemed to notice his odd behaviour too. She got up, moving over to crouch in front of Neville.

"Hey, Neville. You know you can tell us anything, right?" she asked, voice soft and comforting.

"Yeah." He sighed, looking up to meet Hermiones eyes. "But I'm not sure if my Gran would be happy with me telling you. I really want to, but," he sighed again, "I don't know."

"Why wouldn't your Gran be happy with you telling us? Is it because of who my parents are or is it because of what the actual information is?" Draco asked.