23

*Gobbledygook*

$Parseltongue$

-January 8th, 1992-

{Severus' POV}

Severus Snape, Potions Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, sat in the staffroom, still trying to work out what Alex Potter had meant. They had said something about completing something a second time. But that couldn't be possible. He, Severus Snape, was the youngest potions master in history. Wasn't he? Because what Alex Potter had said made him think he was wrong. That maybe, he didn't hold that record anymore.

He was brought out of his thoughts by Minerva McGonagall sitting down beside him, sighing as she collapsed into the chair.

"Hard day?" he asked.

"I just had the third year Hufflepuff's and Gryffindor's. I love my Lions, but those Weasley twins will be the death of me," she sighed. Severus chuckled slightly. The Weasley twins were menaces and he had heard some Slytherins referring to them as the Devil Twins.

"What about you? You seem to have a lot on your mind." Severus ran his hand over his face.

"Just one thing a certain student said."

"How so?" His college seemed genuinely curious.

"Mx Potter has greatly confused me. Their results are far higher than any results I have ever seen in potions. Their brewing is top notch, better than the top students in my N.E.W.T's class. All their potions have been perfect; as good as a master could make." Minerva nodded, a noise of agreement coming from her.

"Their work in Transfiguration is amazing as well. Everything you're saying relates directly to their work in my class as well. And from what I've heard, it extends to all their classes, even History of Magic." That surprised him, but he thought that it should have been obvious. They had an extremely large magical potential.

"Well, I approached them after class on Monday about them being my apprentice. I offered that they could complete their mastery over their school years. They surprised me by declining. But, when I asked why, I haven't been able to understand their response."

"What did they say?" she asked, her voice full of curiosity.

"They said, and I quote, 'what's the point in completing something a second time?' I just can't understand what they mean." Severus sighed again.

"That is quite a puzzle. If they were older, I would say that it meant they had already completed the mastery. But they are 11. And there hasn't been any announcements about someone breaking your record."

"Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that they were a master though. Their potion brewing is flawless." He sighed again. He was just so confused about everything. Professor McGonagall leaned forward slightly, resting her head on one hand.

"I was going to offer an apprenticeship to them as well. Do you think their response would be much different?" Severus thought that over for a few minutes before replying.

"If what you say is true, then I wouldn't put that response past them. But, even if they do decline, it would still be nice for Mx Potter to hear how well you think they are doing."

"I will take your advice then." She leaned back in her chair, watching as Dumbledore got to his feet to start the staff meeting.

"Do let me know how it goes," he replied, before turning his attention to the headmaster who was standing in the middle of the room.

~

{Alex's POV}

Alex sat on their bed, reading the newspaper that had come out that morning. It had been all anyone talked about the whole day. They had received the paper as normal, but hadn't had time to read it during breakfast, as they had been caught up in spell crafting and had almost missed breakfast. They looked at the headline again, marvelling it how attention gaining it was.