24

She was tired

She was tired. Really really tired. All she wanted to do was sleep. Steven allowed her to rest her head against his shoulder whilst everyone settled into the living room.

"Anthony! How long are you going to take?" Aiden shouted.

"Coming" he shouted back from upstairs. Soon, elephant footsteps were heard and Anthony finally came down. He dropped himself next to Benjamin.

"Finally" Maria muttered, "now, there's some big news. And that is why the all of you have been called here,"

A Collins meeting was unusual. Hardly happened even annually. But now, it was happening and the news was big.

"As you know, your brother Benjamin, is 26 and will be turning 27 next month—"

"Don't tell me he's moving out," Anthony interrupted.

Benjamin snorted and patted his thigh "no buddy, I'm not,"

Steven and Tiara on the other hand took a sigh of relief. Benjamin moving out was a terrible idea. Steven sneezed three times, one after the other. Tiara was almost dozing off too.

"Tiara wake up," Aiden's stern voice startled Tiara up. She lifted her head from Steven's shoulder and rubbed her eyes.

"Sorry," she muttered, "please continue."

Maria started speaking "so, Aiden's been on a few dates with my very good friend Parker's daughter. And they've finally decided to get engaged," Maria said happily. She was extremely happy to announce that.

For everyone, arrange marriage was not an option. But in Maria's sight, arrange marriage was beautiful. The way two strangers meet and talk and slowly start seeing eachother at cafes, restaurants and how they start to know eachother and like eachother, trust eachother and eventually fall for eachother too. It was way too romantic.

Benjamin nodded "I think we're ready to get engaged,"

Tiara stood up and collapsed on Benjamin giving him a big-big hug and stumbled on his lap.

Everyone laughed at her clumsy reaction.

"Congratulations," she mumbled placing her cheek into the cork of his neck closing her eyes back. Benjamin mumbled a thanks and adjusted her on his lap also placing a loving kiss on her head.

Next, Steven and Anthony both hugged Benjamin too, congratulating him on his life decision.

"You guys are all suffocating me," Tiara mumbled. They laughed and got off them.

"When is she coming to meet us?" Steven asked, sniffling down the snot and into his throat. 

"Tomorrow for dinner" Aiden announced.

"And what about the engagement?" Anthony asked.

"Soon." Maria told him, a constant smile lingering on her face.

Tiara yawned and got off Benjamin's lap and sat beside him, laying her head on his shoulder now.

Benjamin smiled at Tiara and placed his hand on her forehead. She had light fever now. She was getting well and was better then this morning.

"Can I go sleep now?" Steven asked "I'm really tired,"

"Tired because of not doing anything?" Anthony asked in a teasing way.

"Anthony.." Maria used her warning tone.

Anthony surrendered his hands in air and laughed.

PRIORITIES

"Are you both feeling any better now?" Aiden asked to both his kids.

Steven had stopped sneezing and looked much less paler. He nodded his head. "I just have a little headache, that's all."

Aiden nodded, "thanks good, take one last pill before going to bed. You'll be fine the next morning," Steven nodded at his father.

"And what about you, Tiara?" Aiden questioned.

Tiara felt very much better than the past day. She was much more energetic and enthusiastic. Her walk and talk was normal. Her arguments with Anthony were back. Overall, she was okay.

"I'm good now," she nodded.

"That's good." Aiden smiled.

"Yet take one more dose of ibuprofen. You'll me hundred percent fine untill the next morning," Maria told her.

Tiara nodded, "okay, thanks," she mumbled. Her and Maria had grown more comfortable with eachother with time which was a good thing. Their bond was showing off too.

"Why's Ben taking so long?" Anthony whined, "I'm literally starving," he patted his growling stomach.

"Patience, Tony." Aiden said.

"Anthony, where are your manners. We're waiting for out guest," Maria scolded her son. "learn to have some patience,"

Maria stood up, "I'll see if everything is ready" she said and walked into the kitchen.

Tiara wanted to talk to her. To just thank her because she'd taken care of her so well. From giving her medicines to checking up on her from time to time. Maria's presence reminded her of her mother. All her life, Maria was so cold and distant from Tiara. But now, when the tables had turned, Maria was behaving like a real mother towards Tiara.

Tiara followed her and stopped at the entrance of the kitchen.

"Um.. Maria," Tiara called her.

Maria glanced at her once and went back to placing the dishes on the table "yes?" She acknowledged her.

Tiara stepped closer to Maria, "I.. just wanted to thank you,"

Maria smirked mildly whilst putting spoons and forks on the table, "for what?"

"Um.. for taking care of me,"

Maria stopped turning to look at Tiara. She had to look down, Tiara was a shortie infront of her.

"Tiara, remember one thing," Maria started. "when Aiden got the custody of you, he wasn't the only one who was supposed to take care of you but me too. I'm his wife, and you being his daughter makes you my stepdaughter. It has now become my job to look after you and be a mother figure for you. Tiara,—"

She stopped when Tiara suddenly hugged her, "thanks, that means so much to me," she pulled away. A wide smiled was on Tiara's face.

Maria tucked some hairs behind both Tiara's ears, "you're welcome,"

"Thanks again ... Mom,"