The Party

Warning: puking (due to consumption of alcohol.)

•••••••••••

"Fuck, I should've dressed better!" You shout over the blaring music. You look down in distaste at the top and flannel you were donning. First impressions are pointless anyways, right?

"It's a vibe, honestly. You're like a mysterious trucker which- I mean, yeah it's a party but hey you're drawing more eyes! "

You frown at Madison and head over to the kitchen, pushing past people while apologizing to them when they give you the death/ judgy stare.

"Man, we are in college!" You exclaim as you try to pour some punch from a bowl, spilling it all over when Maddie bumps into you.

"Shit! Sorry! These people sorta get handsy when they're drunk."

"They're that bad already?"

"Yeah, I think most of them pregamed and came."

"Can't believe I'm finally here though," you sigh and take a sip of your drink, your mouth immediately scrunching up. You let out a groan. "That's strong."

Madison frowns at me and then takes a sip.

"Y/n. You are eighteen. This is nothing."

"Hey stop, you can't shame me for being a lightweight," you chuckle, almost self-consciously. "It's not really my scene, you know. Had to work really hard to get here and I didn't really get a chance to party a lot."

"Aw," Madison chuckles and ruffles your hair. You were around 5'5 and she was like 5'11. "Look," she smiles at you and puts an arm around you, "you're here now and your hard work's paid off! It's time for you to have fun. We all deserve it!"

You smile gratefully at her. Madison was the only one you knew on campus and you had only met that day.

You and her walk out of the kitchen and into the crowd. You feel your heartbeat quicken looking at the sea of people. Well, of course, you had friends, but you had a tough time making them.

"Now what?" 

"Well, socialize."

You look back up and humourlessly laugh. "It's harder than it sounds."

Maddie must've felt how uncomfortable you were. "Look, once you get into a conversation, it gets easy. Trust me. So just break the ice and the convo will go its own way."

You breathe out and murmur under your breath. You can do this. You've faced worse. Like when you went crazy on the coughing in the elevator or when you were seen in the wrong moment while holding a pornographic magazine when it was meant to be a celeb-

You look at Maddie and square your shoulders slightly. "Okay, yeah you're right. I got this."

"Yeah! That's the spirit. I'm going to hit the dance floor now cause all this punch is making me crazy energetic. Will you come later?"

"I don't know. Probably," you smile. "I'll call you if i have a change of plans." Maddie nods and walks away, sidestepping a bit to the music. You turn back to crowd of people before you.

"Sooocilazzzee." You stretch the word as you breathe out.  "This is gonna be fun."

~~

"So you have been to how many schools?" You slur out.

"I don't know. It was like five in one year, give or take."

"SHUT UP!" You say a bit too loudly as he chuckles. "That's messed up!"