20 | Dead Man's Blood

YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH HIM AND HE'S IN LOVE WITH YOU AND ITS LIKE A GODDAMN TRAGEDY BECAUSE YOU LOOK AT HIM AND SEE THE STARS AND HE LOOKS AT YOU AND SEES THE SUN AND YOU BOTH THINK THE OTHER IS JUST LOOKING SOMEWHERE ELSE

Manning, Colorado

You, Sam, and Dean walk up to the small cabin in the middle of the woods.

While searching for cases, you found someone by the name Daniel Elkins who was attacked by an animal of a sort in a newspaper article.

The name sounded so familiar to you but you couldn't make out how you knew the man.

Thinking it was a case, you showed it to Sam and Dean who recalled the name in their dad's journal.

D. Elkins with an area pin code.

Not knowing whether the hunter was injured or not with no means of calling him, you guys decided to check it out.

Though you had been reluctant, you decided against not going with them.

It was already dark as you guys approached the house, the woods surrounding it making it eery with the chirping of crickets and the hooting of a distant owl. You enter the cabin after Dean picks the lock when no one responded to the knocking.

You take out the cheap flashlight you bought at a gas station and switch it on, directing it into the messy house. Your shoes skid slightly over some powdery substance on the floor.

You walk into a separate room than the boys and assume it's the living room, with a few empty beer cans on the coffee table.

"Looks like the maid didn't come today," Dean says from the other room. With a lingering look at the empty, dirty room, you make your way to the boys, following Dean's voice. Your head starts aching slightly and you frown.

"Hey, where'd you go?" Sam asks while still standing at the cabin's doorstep.

"I was checking out the rest of the house," you say as you look down at powdery white substance on the floor again. "Is that salt?"

"Yeah, I think so," Sam breathes out as he looks down too.

"You mean, like, protection-against-demons salt or 'oops, I spilled the popcorn' salt?" Dean asks and you snort slightly.

"It's clearly a ring," Sam states, slightly exasperated at what Dean said. He walks over to Dean, beckoning you to follow him.

You enter what looks like an office, with books and loose papers littering a desk and stacked on shelves shabbily. Dean picks a journal that was leather-bound and flipped through the pages.

"That looks a hell of a lot like Dad's," Sam says as he looks at the journal over Dean's shoulder.

"Except this dates back to the '60s," Dean says while flipping the page.

You frown and look around the room, keeping your flashlight up.

Who was Daniel Elkins? And why did he sound so familiar? It was like deja vu.

"Let's go check upstairs," Sam says from behind you, and you nod as you follow them up the stairs, the wooden boards creaking in protest.

The boys walk into the room first and you follow, turning around to see if any creepy-ass thing was following you guys.

The first thing you noticed when you walked into the room was the broken skylight. You had always wanted one. There was some sort of magic in sitting inside your house and being able to look at the stars shining in the night sky. But this skylight was broken, with shards of glass sticking out from the frame.