21 | Salvation

A/n: The season is going to end and I'm excited!!! (Should I be?)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I KNEW I WAS IN TROUBLE WHEN I FIRST HEARD YOUR LAUGH AND MY HEART DANCED TO THE SOUND

"I'm gonna ace this," you say as you look towards Caleb.

"Yeah, let's see," he says as his head shines in the afternoon sun.

You turn to your target, three cans stacked in a triangle kept at least 20 yards from you. You pull the trigger of the handgun Caleb gave you with a beautiful black handle that had a motif on it, much like Dean's. You had planned on asking what it meant but were too jittery to. You keep your arm straight and stiff so that you don't hurt yourself in the aftershock.

The sound of the bullet being launched and metal tearing through metal echoes in the empty field as you squeeze your eyes shut.

It was your third day of training and you were jittery with nervous energy.

The previous two days, Caleb's 'training' was reading up on lore to be well informed on the most common monsters like spirits, werewolves, and shapeshifters. You had been irritated by it and asked him to take a test on your knowledge which you passed. Answering all the correct answers made Caleb promise to take you to an abandoned field to teach you how to shoot a gun. You had regarded it off as quite a simple thing to do but learning how to hold a gun properly was very important. So was knowing how to load it but Dean had taught you that.

You open your eyes to look at the cans, surprised to see that the one in the middle had fallen to the ground, and on its way, toppling down the other two cans too.

You laugh. "Damn, first time and I'm a professional."

"Don't get ahead of yourself," he says as he takes out his ringing phone from his pocket. "It was probably a fluke."

He walks away to take his call and you imitate him.

Fluke or not, that was a good shot, you congratulate yourself.

When Caleb turns away, you start whirling the gun in your hand, putting it in your pocket and pulling it out like how cowboys did.

You turn your head when you see him walking towards you, fumbling with the gun a bit as you act like you weren't spinning it on your finger. You notice his distraught expression and how his eyes were trained on the barren, sandy ground.

"What's wrong?" You ask as you hold the gun in your hand for you to raise any time, in case anything happened.

"Pastor Jim," he says.

You remember that name from John's journal. "What happened to him?"

"I have to go," he says suddenly, looking up and grabs the duffel bag off the ground, walking towards his beat-up truck.

"What's going on?" You ask again, confused, quickly following him.

When Caleb doesn't answer, you speak again. "I'm coming with you."

Caleb turns around but doesn't say anything and you take it as a 'fine'.

In the truck, Caleb hands you a switchblade from his duffel bag. "Pure silver blade. Swiss Army knife won't do you any good."

"Really?" You ask as you take it in your hand. It wasn't too heavy or too light, just perfect. You push the blade down and then pull the lever, fascinated by how fast the blade came up.