𝘁𝗲𝗻

May

May. Final School Project.

I walk in to the Alvarez's apartment as Alex is saying, "When worst comes to worst, I'll just marry some rich lady." I laugh. "Hey!" I wave to them.

"Speaking of Bianca!" Alex jokes and I playfully roll my eyes. "Jajaja, que funny." I hug him once I get into the kitchen and he hugs me back.

"What'd you choose for your Nation project?" Pen asks me as I go around and give her and Lydia a kiss on the cheek. "Well, I chose Dominican Republic. I wanna learn more about my Hispanic side since I'm constantly around white privilege." They laugh. They really are my family away from family.

"Remember me?" Elena yells from her spot at the table. Wow, I didn't even notice her sitting there. We all migrate over back to the table. "I'm sorry, mama. Tell us."

"Well, I've been informed that I'm one of the finalist for The Voices Of Tomorrow." Elena says and we all squeal and clap. Lydia gasps, "The singing show?" We all shake out heads no and she becomes uninterested.

•••

Alex is making a short film for his Nation project and he's having everybody be in it. "So, what is my role?" I ask once he hands me the script.

"You're gonna be the rich, white lady." He hands me a blonde wig. My jaw drops. Yes, I am offended. "Is that all you think of me as?" I ask him, "Because that's all you talk about lately."

"No, Bianca I-" He starts but I walk away. "Hey. I'm sorry." He follows behind me. "I don't want your apology, I want to get out of this stupid dress." I walk to the bathroom. He grabs my hand. I turn to him angrily. "What?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. And I didn't know making jokes about you being rich would hurt you and they never were meant to hurt you. I'll stop if you want me to."

I sigh and look away. "I guess I over reacted a bit." I admit. Damn, we make up quickly. "It's okay. People used to only talk about my money at my old school, so I guess the jokes reminded me of it, I'm sorry."

"That's alright. And don't change the dress, you look good." He compliments me. I can feel myself blushing and smiling like a fool. I look down. "Thanks."

"No, seriously, you look-"

I put my finger up, "Stop. Think. Is it appropriate?" Alex laughs and so do I. "Okay, let's start filming!"

"Oh, talk about pedro pan." Alex suggest to Lydia, who is talking about her stories for his Nation project.

"Si." Lydia starts talking about how pedro pan was an operation for Cuban kids to have a chance in America. "Wow. So it must have been hard, moving here. Not knowing the language... Having to take care of your sisters." Alex asks. Lydia looks like she's about to cry.