𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

October

October.

We were all eating dinner at the Alvarez's. Schneider and Lydia had their citizenship test. "Here's to you guys. Tomorrow you guys will be American citizens. This is the last night with a bunch of foreigners at my table." We laugh and raise our cups.

"I will be as American as el pollo loco. Salud!" We clink out glasses and drink. "Hey, no drinking. You have a test tomorrow." Elena stops her. "In Cuba, we had four R's. Reading, Writing-"

Did she just say writing? "Rhythmic and Rum."

"You only need to get 60% to pass." Schneider says.

"So you're saying to become an American, you need to be a D minus student." Elena rolls her eyes. I laugh and turn to Alex, "Hey, you made it as an American." I joke. They all laugh and Alex scoffs. "Whatever."

We all finish eating and Elena's phone rings. "That's weird."

"What's wrong?" Alex and I go sit next to her. "Syd just sent me the dancing girl, salmon sushi and the prayer hands."

"Okay, don't panic. You're in an intense game of emoji chicken." Alex says. Elena seems confused. "So, should I send Syd a chicken?"

"Girl, are you cray?" Alex takes her phone and I put my head over his shoulder to see what he sends. "Okay. How about... The ghost, a ski lift and the Sweetish flag?"

"No. The Swiss flag." I say and nods. He hits send and we mimic explosions. "What does that mean?" Elena asks. "Exactly." I respond.

"I usually win." Alex brags. I roll my eyes. "Only because you send them until like two in the morning and I'm too tired to respond."

Elena squeals and hugs us. "You guys are the best! Thank you!"

•••

I was resting my head on Alex's shoulder as we waited for them to call Lydia and Schneider to do their test. "Abuelita, you're still studying?"

"Of course. I'm just avoiding proposition from all these guys." She whispers and holds her book up to her face. "The process is a breeze. There is nothing to worry about." Elena assures her and Schneider walks in with a... Very patriotic jumpsuit.

"They didn't call my name yet, right?" Schneider says out of breath. Lydia's jaw drops. "What the hell are ju wearing?"

"I'm tryna look more American. Is it not working?" He asks but then scoffs. "I should've brought a gun!"

one more night [alex a]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara