𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

September

September.

I walk into the Alvarez's apartment. "Listen up people." I get their -Elena and Penelope- attention and they look at me. "Like the dress or no?" I show my dress, that's on a hanger, I choose for homecoming.

"It looks so nice." Penelope smiles. "Who are you going with?"

"Alex." I sit down.

"What? Why didn't I know!?" Pen exclaims. Then I see Alex walking out, looking for something.

"Oh, Alex! What do you think about my dress for homecoming?" I show him. He smirks. "You're gonna look beautiful."

"Thank you." I smile. Then he kisses my cheek, in front of his mom. She gives us a "this is a thing now?" look.

My jaw drops. "Okay, okay, you slick." I giggle and he laughs.
"Hugs?" He asks. I hug him, a little bit tighter than usual. I just really love his hugs.

Then I see Lydia dramatically opening her curtains.

"Alright, your homecoming is in thirty-eight hours. If I get started on a base for your make up, I might have a plan in time." Lydia walks over to Alex and I. I laugh and nod. "Yay!"

•••

I was sitting at the table, scrolling through hair styles I could do for homecoming tomorrow. Elena was talking about how something something narcissists.

"Okay, eyes on me. How fly are my vintage threads for the dance?" Alex walks out in his Abuelo's clothes. I clap and Lydia basically tries to dance with him.

"Who are you going with?" Elena asked. Alex pointed to me. "Yes! The ship is sailing!" Elena claps. Girl, it's been shipped-

"She had an epic big ask." He nudges. Lydia walks up and slaps his arm. "It's not nice to talk about Bianca's fundillo no matter how big it is." I laugh and Alex rolls his eyes.

"No, abuelita. Big ask. It's the way people invite each other to dances." Alex explains.

"Anyways. School dances are dumb. I'm glad Syd is homeschooled and not into that stuff." Elena sits down and there's a knock at the door. It's Syd. They rush in and start playing some... I don't even know how to describe this music. It's a whole thing. Singing and dancing.

"You set my heart on fire." Syd sings and dances. Oh, God. "On that day when I didn't know if you were gay. You set my heart on fire! So please say yes. You don't even have to wear a dress!" Syd gets on one  knee and asks if Elena will go with them to the dance.