28. Finding a Healer

~ Legolas is gravely injured but Nugu knows someone who can help. Someone unexpected. ~

28. Finding a Healer

"There is a healer closer than that." Nugu's eyes were red and his lower lip trembled. For the first time he looked his age.

"With your friends?" Galion asked, brightening.

"Yes. But... it's... this way." He indicated the direction they had come from.

"Back? But..." His face became stiff. "You were never leading us there," he concluded.

Nugu only nodded, tears brimming in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Sidra croaked. Her eyes were dry but teeming with sadness and guilt. "We were going to tell you. We were discussing... about when. When it happened. We were too late."

"There is no time for this, we can settle whose fault it is later," said Nodir urgently. "We must go there directly."

"I hope we can get him on a horse. Galion went back to where Thranduil still hovered over his son.

Thranduil obediently stepped aside when asked to. It was as if all energy had drained from the normally so proud elf; his shoulders sagged and he moved sluggishly.

Galion and Nodir tried to help Legolas rise but he only slumped back with a groan, the shock apparently beginning to subside and pain following in its wake. He was clearly unable to walk and certainly not ride.

"We need to make a stretcher." Galion urgently looked around. "The oak is too big. Sauron's eye, why are there no damn trees here?"

Wynne stared at him. It was unsettling to hear an elf use strong language.

"We can take the spears!" Nodir began to pull at the one embedded in the oak, still red and slick with Legolas' blood.

Seeing what he did made Wynne feel sick. Would he be carried by the item that had hurt him so? It was horrible.

The two elves worked fast and efficiently, tying a bed sheet securely around the spears. Then Nugu and Galion, who were strongest, lifted Legolas onto it.

He cried out in distress, a drawn out moan that was heartbreaking to hear.

Wynne hurried to bring two of the pack horses to the litter. Using rope, they were able to fasten it between their harnesses, but they would have to move very synchronized to make it work.

There was no help for it, this once the horses had to be reined, so with stiff fingers Wynne tied a simple rope halter for each of them.

"You lead the way, Nugu," ordered Galion. Since Thranduil seemed to have entered an almost catatonic state he had taken over command.