46. Meeting an Old Friend

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

~ Wynne gets to meet Gimli, who wears new, fancy boots – but later the royal elves in all their finery intimidate her. ~

46. Meeting an Old Friend

"Drop it." Thranduil's voice was commanding but the guard unwaveringly held his stance.

Nugu didn't speak. His arms hung at his sides and his eyes were closed as if he expected the killing blow to be dealt at any moment.

"You would die before your sword fell." Legolas had nocked an arrow and pointed it at the guard.

Nodir and Bronedir followed his example.

Beregond glanced over his shoulder and saw the three slender metal tips aimed at him and hesitated, but then finally lowered his weapon. "I would not believe this of you, Your Highness." His glare at Legolas was hurt.

Sidra's youngest took that opportunity to start wailing, possibly feeling his mother's tension. The orclings had been riding with her and Galion as usual; they looked enough like humans to make it unnecessary to hide them when people would only see them at a distance, but now everybody's attention was turned in their direction.

Sidra protectively pressed her son to her chest.

"A baby..." Éowyn began to walk down the steps but her husband caught her arm.

"Careful!"

"Don't." She shrugged him off and continued to Sidra, stretching out a tentative hand toward the child. "May I?"

She nodded permission.

The blond woman cupped the small face. "Hello, little one," she cooed. "Let me see you, then."

The wailing stopped. The baby had caught sight of Éowyn's son who still rested on her hip and the other boy peered back with curiosity.

"Mama, he's gray."

"Shh, Elboron, don't be rude."

"Yes he is." Sidra smiled at the boy. "His papa is a half-orc, that's why." She boldly met Éowyn's gaze, proudly keeping her head high.

"That half-orc?" She nodded in Nugu's direction.

"My husband, yes. Nugu, why won't you introduce yourself? Properly, if you will."

Nugu looked less than pleased with the suggestion but obeyed. Wynne had always marveled at the power his wife held over him; she certainly wasn't stronger, but maybe it was an age thing? She was the older of the two. Or it could just be their different personalities.

"I am Nugu, son of Staurz, but I'd rather forget his name. Originally from Isengard, now the Free Orc Town in Emyn Muil." He bowed stiffly.

"I feel some explanations are due here. Free Orc Town?" Faramir frowned.