Prologue

The boy stood over the bed containing a woman tied to it. Tears were rolling down his face as he watched her. The woman was trying to break free from the ropes tying her to the bed. As she roared, her voice was distorted and deep. The boy poured gasoline over her body, tears still rolling down his face.

"I will do as you told me, mom, and take care of my little brother, so don't worry." He cried as the last of the gasoline fell out of the canister.

He left the room to grab some matches and returned. He lit one of the matches and tossed it on her. She was set ablaze and her screams caused more tears to roll down the boy's face. He wiped the tears away and held his head high, feigning confidence. He ran out and woke up his little brother who was only two years younger.

"Come on it's time to go, there's a fire!" He yelled to his little brother as he pulled his hand to follow. They ran out the door and the boy came back inside to grab necklaces his mother had given them. He ran back out and urged his brother down the stairs.

"But what about mom?!" he asked, almost screaming.

"I will protect you! We have to get moving before the building collapses!"

He grabbed his brother's hand and ran away from the building holding back the tears that wanted to roll down his face. They ran further into the darkness of night, the only light to be seen other than that of the blaze engulfing the building was the moonlight.