Chapter 29

The next morning Crow drove White to school but had to skip his own classes to receive training that would help him beat Zexal. He was in the backyard with Airi.

"First lesson is a vampire's typical speed."

"What do you-"

Before he could finish his sentence a rock hit the fence behind him. He turned to it, turned back toward Airi, and pointed at it. "Was that you?"

Airi nodded.

"Alrighty then."

"I want you to catch it before it hits the fence."

Easier said than done.

Another thud hit the fence.

"Concentrate on seeing the rock."

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he saw a rock flying toward him. He reached out and grabbed it. He smiled, his fangs protruding from his lips.

"Caught it."

"Bet you can't do it again."

Crow laughed, "You're on."

She threw another rock, this one going faster than the one before. His irises changed into a red and the rock began to slow. Again he reached out and grabbed it.

"Did it."

Airi smiled, "looks like we move on to the next lesson, dodging the majority of the strikes."

"Alright sounds easy."

An instant later he saw her close in front of him.

How did she get so close so quickly?

He saw a fist rising to his face and he instinctively raised his arms in an attempt to block it. Pain shot up his arms as the hit landed and he was launched to the fence. His back hit it rather hard. Amazed the fence didn't break, he stood up.

"Goddamn. That could've been really bad."

"I said to dodge not block."

He smiled, "I know and I'm sorry."

"Although, I will say you did block it well." Airi mumbled.

Crow walked back to the spot he was before being launched. Airi launched an attack again, only this time she aimed at his stomach. He shifted his weight to his right and barely got out of the way of it. She then started to lift a leg high, she was going to kick him. He instinctively jumped backward. He wanted to celebrate but something told him another attack was coming, and surely enough there was. She attempted to uppercut him. He grabbed her wrist and stopped it from moving.

He smiled and she glared at him.

"You didn't dodge." she enunciated each word.

"Hey I dodged the other two." He began to laugh.

"Might as well go back inside and eat something." She looked at the door back inside.

"Yeah."

The two of them headed inside and ate some cereal. Airi picked up her phone and called someone. Crow didn't see who it was until he heard a knock on the door.

He opened it and saw that it was Jane.

"So looks like I will have to train you."

"Um, I guess..."

Jane smiled, "I don't exactly hold back and it's pretty close to the real thing."

Crow nodded, a little bit of fear was visible in his eyes.

The three of them headed to the backyard.

"Okay, you have three minutes to try to defeat me, if you go beyond three minutes you lose, I beat you in those three minutes you still lose."

"Sounds good."

Right after finishing his sentence, he saw her near, her fist already near his face. He raised his arms but it already connected to his face, sending him to the floor.

"Pitiful. You expect to beat Zexal like that?"

"Damn." Crow got back up.

He saw another punch flying to him and grabbed the wrist of that fist. He attempted to sweep her feet, not paying attention to the other fist flying at him. It connected to his right cheek, sending him across the yard.

"Are you even trying at this point?"

He slowly got up. "You have no idea."

He rushed behind her and got her in a choke hold. Jane smiled, only Airi noticed it.

"Don't-" Airi started before she was interrupted by a pained scream.

Crow fell to the floor grasping a hand in his other one.

Jane walked up to him.

"I'll fix them, give me your hand."

He did as he was told and saw what exactly had happened. His fingers, four of them, were bent backward, pointing in his direction. Jane grabbed all four and pulled them back in the right direction. Crow kept from screaming from the excruciating pain, almost failing.

Jane smiled, "I might have to change the rules for you."

Crow looked up at her, "I doubt you will." He got up preparing for the next round. Jane looked at him, putting a hand up.

"That will be all for today. I'm amazed that you didn't give up." She complimented.

He smiled.

"Get some rest."

Crow nodded, "I will."

She headed back inside and walked out of the front door.

Crow and Airi watched as she left the house.

"I guess you should rest on the couch."

The two of them walked inside and Crow lied on the couch, exhausted from the harsh training. His eyelids felt heavy and surely he fell fast asleep. Airi watched him and saw that he was sleeping before she reached out her hand and placed it on his cheek.

"Win and I promise to reward you, my knight." She got closer, her lips almost touching his. She stopped.

What am I doing? She blushed and was satisfied with kissing just his forehead.