Chapter 19

~~For we walk by faith, not by sight.
2 Corinthians 5:7(NKJV)~~

The Abuja campus was just as beautiful as he'd heard. Three months ago and he didn't think he'd be here and now, not only did he make his way here, he could also find Tobi. This was her city.

He pulled several luggage as he entered the two man room to settle in the bed far from the door. God had really blessed him with this room in Hostel A. He was going to have light most of the time because of the offices that needed it to operate.

His roommate and flatmates had not yet come. He left them downstairs making plans to go sightseeing to pack his things upstairs.

He remembered passing the toilet, bathroom and sink that were to be shared among the four of them. In his own opinion, they weren't as bad as the boys had said. This was going to be his new residence for the next ten months.

Getting to the bed he chose, he slumped on it. His day hadn't gone smoothly. Remembering what happened before he got here, he squeezed his eyes shut to stop the mental pictures from coming.

Three long hours of waiting at the park. It turned out that not many people fancied travelling the six hours and forty-three minutes to Abuja by road. Everything had been a struggle today.

First, he'd mentally and fistfully struggled with the driver that mocked him about the five big boxes and one small briefcase he brought on how to arrange them. He didn't hear the end of the matter as the driver laughed out calling the attention of other bus drivers and passengers asking him if he was travelling to his wife's house. He almost weeped when one driver told him he would have qualified for sugar daddy but his lack of beards and money made it clear he was obviously a sugar baby. More jokes at his detriment were cracked. He couldn't contain his joy when the bus driver announced their departure.

Happily, he strolled to the Toyota Hiace to take his seat. Every other seat were filled except the ones at his right and left.

'Numbers two and four are on their way. Sugar baby, ẹ be like say today no be your day.' The middle aged man mocked as he removed the toothpick from his mouth that carried debris and pushed it back into his mouth to chew it. Then he took a sachet water from the woman hawking and dug his teeth into it, he opened his mouth revealing brown teeth gulping the water squeezing the innocent nylon until it was almost finished. He retained the rest water using it to rinse his mouth from all sides before swallowing it.

Chris had been repulsed but he was more concerned about the passengers that were delaying and reducing his chances of getting to Abuja before nightfall.

'Chai, ẹ̀gbọ́n, mo ṣe àánú fún ènìyàn tí yóò joko larin awon obinrin méjì yẹn.' Haven stayed in Lagos all his life, Chris was not dense to the meaning. He looked out of the window knowing they were obviously referring to him.

His eyes threatened to fall off when he saw the women that approached the vehicle. Hot tears streamed down his face as he looked closely. Someone from the back said loudly. 'A minute of silence for this boy.'

Chris watched to his dismay as two overly weighty women moved closer. The ground had to have sunk deeper as they walked. Every step taken was with so much force. They put one step forward and waited for two beats before taking the next step. By the time they reached the car, they were out of breath and one moved to lean on the bus moving the entire bus to the side with her arm.

The driver issued them two tickets whistling the popular song "I don die ó." As he made his way to the driver's seat.

Even if he wanted to change buses it was already too late as the other bus drove away.

The older of the two women entered first. Chris bounced off from the seat and back and for the next five minutes, he didn't think he could run across the Pacific.

The other woman dropped her Ghana must go bag directly on his toes before adjusting the blouse that slung to her body. 'Bros abeg you go shift ó, this space no go reach.' Everyone except Chris burst out laughing as she sat trying to get her backside comfortable.

Chris held his hands to heaven asking for his father's only child to make it to Abuja making promises he knew he couldn't keep.

He shook his head trying to wipe out the memory before bringing out his phone to inform his family of his arrival.

As soon as he was done informing every aunty in the country he knew that he was safe and sound in Abuja, he connected to the internet to call his friends.

'Good to see your ugly faces again. Man, I missed you guys.'

Sammy and Chris laughed as they settled into their chairs to get a better view at their faces.

'Guy, you've grown new strands of beards. Congrats man.' Chris mocked Sammy who instinctively rose his hands to his jaw to rub his latest achievement.

'Yes my friend, I almost gave up hope thinking the day of me growing more than seven annoying strand of beards wouldn't come.'

'Beards?' Sean asked. 'Don't joke like that, even with these new growth your face is still as smooth as my sister's.' They laughed throwing more unharmful words at themselves.

'How's Lagos Sean?' Sammy asked.

'Great. At least the girls are. You know, it's only money that stops me from my pursuit of happiness. I even met one in campus. Beautiful, rich, intelligent, rich, curvy, rich, chocolate skin, rich.' Sean stopped talking to laugh then stuck his tongue between his teeth.

'Erm, Sammy and Sean, I think I'm ready.' They stopped talking to listen to Chris that got serious. 'I know it's irrational but I have a feeling that she might have forgiven me.'

Sean breathed softly for a few seconds before responding. 'I don't know if it's a good idea. I think she would have reached out to us if she was ready to move on. I mean, she didn't even come to complete her exams. I'm not sure you should do this just yet. Or what do you think Sammy?' He asked leaning closer to the laptop.

'I don't really know. You've only just got there, you still have ten months to go but it might be a good idea. I mean, what better time than now when they're both in Abuja?'

'Yeah man, it's been almost four months and I'm not looking to woo her just to apologize.'

They looked at each other waiting for whoever was ready to speak. Sammy dug his hand into the thick wave of his hair murmuring things nobody could hear.

'How about her social media?' Chris smiled when he heard that.

'You don't think I have? I've sent like a million messages. Obviously not that close but I've sent a lot of messages. She even deactivated all her accounts so I decided I wouldn't try to look her up until I was sure I could meet her to apologize.'

'You should check her out now. Maybe she's brought them back or if you Google her, it might have some information you need.' Their eyes widened in shock. 'Don't bother asking me how I know this, I'm a creepy spy. Though I gave up trying to find her months back.' Sammy said evading their stare through the camera.

'I'll just google her. I hope she wants to talk to me.' Chris said.

For the rest of the conversation Chris tuned off as he tried to connect to the internet.

'Sammy, Sean?' His right hand went to his forehead scratching it. He looked up to see the concerned eyes of his friends before breaking the news. 'Tobi's been missing for months.'