Chapter 21

~~You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.
                       John 8:15(NKJV)~~

'It's a beautiful morning and a time to be in the presence of God. Why aren't you in fellowship with the Adès?' Tobi sat with one arm over her folded legs chewing on her nails. 'You know, I would have expected you attend their house fellowship as a way of showing gratitude for their accommodation and food.'

The hill stood proudly above all others in that region. Like an amoeba but holding the brightest and most beautiful dusty brown and metal coloring a hill could offer. Years of rain and erosion faulted the hill creating smaller rocks, an excellent pathway for stairs.

'When I was your age I didn't miss fellowship for anything because I loved...'

Her hand pointed to Pa Solomon moving with the same speed of her mouth. 'Enough Pa Solomon, I'm tired of you nagging me. The people I stay with have accepted it and they understand that I don't believe in what they believe in. Besides, aren't you an hypocrite? Shouldn't you be in fellowship or you don't have any in your village?' She blew air to remove the hair that escaped from her bun off her face.

The sound started gradually. The very familiar high pitched sound that increased per second releasing ear piercing noise like two metals rubbing together. Tobi bowed her head using her hands as a shield to her ears as it continued. At least she was grateful it wasn't slurpy today.

'You're always so angry. Why don't you loosen up some more?' He said containing his laughter.

'You know, I usually come here to relax not fight with a vexing old man that should be with his family but for some reasons, he likes to come here and annoy an innocent girl.'

They sat in silence for the next few minutes.

'God is good. You might not yet understand that He is but He is good.' Tobi didn't bother trying to convince him otherwise. She'd never win.

The sound of hissing caught their attention below as a snake crawled and two eagles attempted to catch it. They struggled in mid air pulling at each other's feathers while the snake crawled into a bush.

'Hmm! This old body is ready to rest.'

'Yes, I'm sure you want to save your energy for tomorrow so you'd have a lot of things to say to me.' She said getting up to assist him to his feet.

'You know me so well. Please get my sweater for me.' She did climbing down the hill walking in the opposite direction of her home.

'I'll be fine here.' He said collecting his sweater from her. 'You've done enough.'

'Why don't you just let me take you home?' She retrieved the sweater. 'Honestly, I think you've used all your energy on me. I don't want you falling.'

'Oh, I might be a talkative but I also save my strength. My home is a bit far from here, I wouldn't want you to walk back alone. People around here pity old men but not a beautiful young lady like you. I'll manage.'

Her head moved in agreement. 'Goodbye grandpa. See you tomorrow.'

'Goodbye grumpy lady.' He replied throwing his hands in the air nonchalantly as he walked away.

"Dear mum, I'm sorry I'm writing this letter. It's rather late, I know you'd say I should have written this six months back. I'm sorry I didn't, I wasn't sure I was ready. Don't feel bad or think you spoilt me. You didn't, I just got a little bit out of hand. I hope you're fine. I hope dad is too. Don't worry about writing back to me. This is just to let you know I'm doing okay." Butterflies swam in her belly and for the hundredth time in the last hour, she squeezed the paper sending it to join the others on the floor.

'Tobi?'

She jumped out of her skin, it was as if she had been caught stealing. She didn't even bother to respond as her heart hammered against her chest. 'I need your help out here.'

She took some few minutes to gather her wits, packed the heap of papers and threw them into a sack bag before going outside.

Almost the whole villagers were out today. The ground was filled with foodstuff and cooking materials. She threaded carefully avoiding food and utensils as she made her way to where Mrs Ade was standing.

'What is happening today?'

Mrs Ade turned the piece of yam over nodding to the woman by her side before standing upright to dust the sand off her hands. 'It'd do.' She said and faced Tobi. 'Today is the first week of January and this is when we celebrate our own Christmas. Many of my colleagues will come today. A lot of villagers are new to the Christian faith and in order to keep them, we organize this. It's like a crusade but we cook, and share what we own while praising God. My pastor and some evangelists are coming from Lagos to assist me. I thought you'd like to help with the preparation. It is usually so much fun.' Deep line formed at the corners of her eyes as she smiled. 'There's so much singing and dancing and praising God. Will you help?'

'Yes. Where are your boys?' They walked slowly picking up items that were obstructing the way.

'Oh my boys? They followed our neighbors to tap palm wine. They begged to go. I didn't want them to but this only happens once a year right?'

'Yes. I'll help chop vegetables.' She said leaving to join some women that had gathered. She took a knife, a flat wooden board and placed them on her laps. The women were singing in their local dialect as they worked.

The loud horns of vehicles blew breaking the joyful noises of the women. Tobi's mind raced. The villagers ran to surround the vehicles as they slowed down. When last had she seen a bus?

Only her and Mr Ade were still on the other side of the village. She stood up to get a clearer view of the people that arrived. Some young men appeared carrying equipment to set up walking passed her.

'Hi?' One of the boys greeted.

'Hello.' She replied sitting down to continue chopping vegetables. It was one of the boy's from earlier.

'I'm sorry I couldn't help but notice, you don't look like a proper villager.'

'You shouldn't assume.'

'I'm not. I think I should be honest. Mrs Ade asked me to say hello so she filled me with some details about you.'

Tobi relaxed against the chair and smiled. 'Welcome to my new hometown.'

'Thank you. How long do you plan to be here?'

'Very long.'

'Wow, I was really hoping to take you back with me to the city.'

The area was getting crowded again as the women returned to continue their work. 'I'm sorry to crush the hope but I'm not looking for somebody to take me away.'

'Well, since you're here and I'm here, would you like discussing some scriptures with me?' Her feet tapped heavily on the ground. 'My father is a pastor and I want to be one soon. I'm even going to the pastorate school.' She looked at him and she knew he was expecting the same exciting reaction.

'Okay!'

'What do you think, do I look like a pastor?'

Her hands stopped moving. She shifted her seat to be directly in front of him before pouring the entirety of the vegetables on his laps. 'Excuse me for a moment. I'll get a broom.' She said leaving him.

'Tobi, I can see you enjoying someone's company.' Mrs Ade remarked as they made their way to their house.

'With a boring church boy? I didn't like him at all.'

Loud stomping of feet slapped against the heavy heap of sand releasing dust into the air and two men came into sight running towards them with a boy in one's hand. One of the men hurried to Mr Ade while the other barked out instructions too faint to be heard. There was fire on the mountain.