Chapter 24

~~Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
                                 John 6:29(NKJV)~~

Her heart picked up speed as she got closer to the house. If Mrs Ade wanted her to leave, she'd apologize and ask to stay one more night before leaving in the morning but where would she go? Her head ached, she didn't ever think a day would come where she'd be sent away. The village had so many friendly and kind people just like the Ades but they weren't missionaries so they didn't open their homes to strangers. Maybe Pa Solomon will take her in. After all, he'd told her about his grandson he wanted to set her up with. Her shoulders fell imagining what might be required of her. She wasn't ready for a relationship.

The village was very quiet tonight, the only noise that came was from the Public Address System Pastor Dare was using to preach. Obviously, Akin's death wasn't enough to stop the program.

Every villager present sat with their complete attention on Pastor Dare. The whole village might have been in attendance as the compound clustered with all ages of people. She passed the crowd hoping to see Mrs Ade, she had to be very close but the night wasn't illuminating enough light.

Inside the house a candle stood burning, the house warm and two plastic chairs sat empty. She definitely didn't expect to meet any of these. She'd gotten comfortable on one of the chairs when she felt another presence. Mrs Ade was standing by the curtain at the entrance of her bedroom with her hands on her hips.

'Erhm, I'm sorry Mrs Ade for yelling at you before. I'm really so sorry.' Fearful of her reaction, she looked to her side to avoid her gaze.

'I accept your apology Tobi.' She said and walked to the only available chair. 'I'm also sorry I shouted.'

'I should understand that.' They exchanged eye contact briefly.

'One of the men Akin followed instructed him and the other boys to observe him and not try to imitate him since they weren't old enough but my baby decided he knew more than experienced palm wine tappers and he dragged his siblings to a tree close by to show them how palm wine is tapped since he was an expert. That means, he had been doing it before.' She ceased talking to clean the tears in her eyes. Tobi put her right hand round the chair to Mrs Ade's back.

'I wish my Akin could wake up. The first thing I will do is beat him so that he'd never be able to go near another tree, not even a plantain tree.' Tobi cautioned herself to keep from smiling. 'I understand how you felt earlier today and don't think that I don't miss my boy. He was one of my many children but I loved him nonetheless. He was always so good to me. I...wi...wi...sh...wish...I could wake up to be told it was all a dream and that my Akin is sitting outside listening to Pastor Dare preach.' Her words came out in a rush, she tried to breathe between her blocked nostrils and saliva filled mouth.

'I just can't let it go that my Akin is dead. I refuse to believe that I won't see him again after tomorrow. You were right, when you left I couldn't do it. I changed my clothes and I didn't have the strength and the will power to go out and work. I walked to the door and I was already feeling like I betrayed him. I ended up cleaning him, I washed his wounds and his body too many times I might have cut him several other places. Then I took a sponge to clean the floor. Right now, he's wearing his favourite outfit. Those jeans his daddy bought that he loved so much and the t-shirt you got him last year with his scandals to match.'

She didn't bother to wipe the mucus running from her nose or clean her tears. 'My son has become warm, he's starting to swell.' Tobi sat confused about what to do, apart from her break-up, she'd never had to console anybody before. 'The truth is, I almost want to blame God. He is the reason we gathered and He could have saved my son but honestly, I can't, I can't blame Him for my son's misdeeds even though every part of me wants to scream it's His fault. I hope God forgives me cause few minutes back I saw myself going out to scatter the whole place and asking everybody to leave.'

The noises from outside intensified, the curtains paved way to show the people gathered in small groups most of whom, too close to be talking about the sermon just preached.

'Tobi?' Mrs Ade took her hand placing it in hers.

Tobi tensed when Mrs Ade took her hand, almost praying that whatever it was, it'd be something she wouldn't have difficulty with.

'Will you like to be there with us when we bury Akin tomorrow? I don't want him to be buried today, I can't stand it, I'm not ready to let him go.'

'Yes, I'll love to be there.' She replied releasing the uneasiness from her shoulders.

Mr Ade strolled into the room. This was the worst state Tobi had ever seen him in. The weak reflection from the candle showed his swollen eyes as he moved slowly towards them.

'Can I go pay my last respects to Akin?' Tobi asked getting up. They nodded their agreement and without a second glance, she marched away.

The room stood solemnly as if paying its last respects too. The usually chatty room would forever be marked with grieving.

The lantern gave enough illumination to the body. Mrs Ade had been right, there was already so much changes in his body especially as it hadn't been embalmed. Forcing herself the few feet to him, she sat on the bench next to the bed and rubbed her hands against each other.

So much had happened today. Even Pa Solomon hadn't been too excited about this day. She watched the still body that had been so full of life and energy hours ago.

'Can't you come back home? Your mummy needs you. Your daddy and your siblings need you.' She lowered her voice. 'I need you too.' From the little she knew about science, rigor mortis would have since set in, he couldn't possibly awaken now even if he was given the best medical attention in the world.

Unable to remain alone in the room, she got up and raced outside where Mr Ade stood waiting.

'Tobi, Mrs Ade went out for a walk. I waited for you to come out. I wanted to say thank you. You've been of great help to my wife and I including the children.' She nodded. He stood expectant but she couldn't open her mouth to give the words he wanted.

That night, the whole family slept in the living room. Mr Ade, Mrs Ade and their six children laid tightly fitted into themselves close to the wall. Their bodies moved uniformly against the light. She gave up trying to sleep and sat up. The candle that gave light blew few feet from her and too close to the curtain. She reached for it to blow it out before getting her sweater to leave the house.

She'd walk to the hill, it always offered comfort.